starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to deal with a pushy personal trainer who wants to change my routine

Default How to deal with a pushy personal trainer who wants to change my routine

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Rip/Community,

So I joined a new gym that is amazing equipment-wise. Minus bumpers, they have everything a strength enthusiast could ask for (at a great price). As part of the $19.99 joining fee, you get a free 1 hour personal training session. Since I am 110% gung-ho to begin Starting Strength and was about to start my second workout as a complete 22 year old newbie, I wasn't thrilled. However, they were going to pair me with a trainer who did Starting Strength and now the TM for 2 years, so I was stoked to use the opportunity for help with my form.

Long story short, they were short handed and I got passed off to another trainer. The guy was a completely jacked muscle monster (albeit genuinely interested in making others better). He apparently benches 500+ (with an arched back and half reps...) When I told him my routine, he instantly shot it down as not effective and set me up with a "Notre Dame" bodybuilding routine that consists of a pyramid circuit of bench press, incline press, decline press, and cable chest flys. I kept trying to tell him I wasn't interested, but who was I-- an out of shape weakling-- to tell him what I should do for my chest.

The worst part of it (besides having to do cable flys that negatively affected my squat/deadlift) was that he "corrected" my form-- I am no longer allowed to touch the bar to my chest on the bench press because it could "bust a pec". He had me doing the reps a towel distance from my chest.

So heres the problem: The guy lives in the gym, and he is going to keep checking up on me to make sure I am following his plan/form suggestions. I'm afraid to stand up to him because, while Rip obviously knows an infinite more about form than he does, I don't and have a hard time arguing with him based on a book I read.

If Starting Strength is a cult, I've already cut off my balls and I'm waiting for the comet-- so I'm not about to give in to his method.

Any advice on what to do/say?

(If you like reading my rambling essays of text, here is my strength log for more info: http://startingstrength.com/resource...457#post593457)

You're not a very assertive individual. Maybe you should just do what he tells you to do, and hope he goes away.

You need this in addition to your SS:BBT

http://www.amazon.com/Stick-Up-Yours.../dp/1575420686

4.5 stars!

Quote Originally Posted by Winona77 View Post
    Any advice on what to do/say?
    Why do you have to do or say anything beyond, "No thanks, I'd rather stick with my original plan"? You can say that and still be perfectly civil.

Telling other people "no" in a firm but diplomatic way is a valuable skill. You have a great opportunity to practice it here.

I highly recommend you get the SS guy to talk to the bodybuilder guy. See what happens. He'll probably explain it better than you do.

I've been in that situation before. Just say you really want to give the program a try, you've already started, you like learning things for yourself, etc. If he's really trying to help people like you said he should be alright with it

How did cable flys negatively affect your squat and deadlift?

You could always get your girlfriend to tell him to back off.

How about growing a pair and just telling him you're not interested. His claim about checking up on you is just a means to try and get you to pay for more PTs with him. No money = no interest from PT.

starting strength coach development program
    Go out to the car, open the glove box, and take out your balls that you left in there put them back on and tell the idiot to leave you alone.

As well, find the PT who knows SS and hook up with him. Ask him to explain to the other PT what you're doing, he'll get him to back off.

Anyone who pays me to train them, or who gets programmes from me, nobody else touches them. It just doesn't happen.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast