starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First rep tougher on deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Have been lurking and thought I would finally chime in. With my trainees, if the first deadlift in a set is harder than the subsequent ones, it is almost always because they didn't use their legs enough on the first lift ("push the floor away") and instead they use their back too much in a semi-stiff-leg deadlift. Then they correct on reps 2, 3, 4, 5. I see exactly this in DRice311's video from earlier in this thread.

Same here, 1st deadlift rep is slower / harder than the reps that follow.

I always thought it was neurologic.

I've noticed it on squats also but not every time and not nearly to the same extent as the deadlift, has anyone else had the same experience ?

I have observed many lifters pull their first rep from a terrible position. The subsequent lowering of a heavy bar fixes this, and they will end up in the position they NEED to be in. The next rep is then, of course, easier.

Perhaps your initial setup just sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazzin View Post
    I have observed many lifters pull their first rep from a terrible position. The subsequent lowering of a heavy bar fixes this, and they will end up in the position they NEED to be in. The next rep is then, of course, easier.

I posted video in my OP wondering if my initial setup sucks. I don't think it does, but I could easily be wrong.

Anyway, I did my first deadlift workout since this discussion last night (370x6) and by getting myself a little extra psyched up and telling myself not to let the first rep be harder, it wasn't. So I am now thinking it is more of a mental preparation issue, for me personally at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazzin View Post
    No.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Briks42 View Post
    I posted video in my OP wondering if my initial setup sucks. I don't think it does, but I could easily be wrong.
    Sorry, missed the video; looks pretty good. Glad to hear you got it sorted.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123