starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First rep tougher on deadlift

Default First rep tougher on deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Rip,

Curious if you have noticed that the first rep of a set of deadlifts tends to be a little tougher for people than the subsequent reps? I have noticed this for myself, and others have chimed in on my log that it's the same way for them. Here is a recent set of 2 I did where the first rep was much tougher than the second:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrdPcin6HyA

I could understand it better if I was doing touch and go, but it's confusing on normal sets. Do you think it's a mental issue (not being mentally prepared for the first rep), or some sort of set-up issue?

Thanks,
    Bob

If it was so much easier, why did you miss the 3rd rep?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If it was so much easier, why did you miss the 3rd rep?
    Good point. Maybe the first rep wasn't more difficult, but it was definitely slower.

I encounter the same phenomenon and have two theories: (a) After the first rep, I find the correct "slot" and the next few reps are more efficient; or, (b) this is just a perception, but not really the case. As to the latter, the OPs bar speed looks identical in both reps. In my own experience, I tend to forget how much actual output/effort is required to pull (what for me, anyway) is a heavy weight. Maybe after the first rep, my wiring re-sets and, while the bar isn't moving any quicker, it feels easier.

Perception is always subjective.

+1 for subjective perception. +1 for the first rep feeling the hardest (or harder than the middle reps but easier than the last).

Personally, I like to go to a near 1RM warm-up rep before my work sets. It always seems to make my work sets feel much easier. It also seems to produce a smoother movement pattern for me during these sets.

I'm positive there is a physiological explanation. Albeit, one that I cannot articulate due to insufficient knowledge.

I've also noticed the same with my heavier sets. In my log, others and myself have guessed it possibly being caused my being mentally ready/finding the right groove as Thomas and Bonby suggested above, or their being some kind of stretch reflex kicking in after the first rep- even though they are done paused. Do you think the 2nd theory has any merit??

Here is another example, this is a set of 5 I did from a little over 2 months ago:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbF834Ppcyk

You can see the first rep is slower, and it felt 'more difficult'

It seems that the first rep hurts more as in going from zero to first rep is a big shock to your body. Heart rate, blood pressure, etc. After some number of reps you sort of reach a steady state, and then you start to fail.

Coach, any records ever broken on more than a single? Some corn fed monster lift some enormous weight for reps and it turned out to be in record territory unbeknownst to him?

Quote Originally Posted by Bcharles123 View Post
    Coach, any records ever broken on more than a single? Some corn fed monster lift some enormous weight for reps and it turned out to be in record territory unbeknownst to him?
    Of course it's happened.

starting strength coach development program
    I think that if you find this to be true, you are not physiologically or psychologically prepared for the lift. If you noticed this on warm up sets, that is different. Speaking about a stretch reflex: the bar rests on the ground between reps so how would you get a loaded* stretch reflex? Why would it change after the first rep? You can't and it won't.

*You definitely see some athletes, particularly heavier weightlifters, who perform a countermovement before the bar leaves the floor. But this is a very tiny stretch reflex that depends on the body mass of the lifter, not the weight of the bar.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast