starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to program sprint intervals?

Default How to program sprint intervals?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello Mr. Rippetoe,

I am currently doing the Texas Method and find myself carrying a little bit more pudge. I would like to start doing some metcon in the form of interval sprints, and I would like your input on how to program them. Previously during my SS program I tried to add in sprints for 2 weeks before I realized recovery was too hard.

I am thinking that I will start by adding a day in either Tuesday (before my light workout) or Saturday (right after my intensity workout). Previously I did 4x100m sprints (about 15 sec/sprint) with a minute and a half rest period. As I progress further I plan on working up to 6x100, and maybe later reducing the rest periods. Additionally, I run on an indoor track (200 meters), so that means I have to run around the curves of the track. Perhaps I should program a little differently so I can just run along the straight edges?

Your criticism is welcome.

Add the sprints on Saturday, but do 4 x 100 with no rest control. Take as much time as you need to recover between reps. The sprints are enough by themselves. After several weeks you can start timing your rest.

How much conditioning and / or weight loss can you accomplish with 60 total seconds of effort per week?

What is your opinion on sprints overall, when compared to other forms of metcon/energy system training? Right now I don't have access to a prowler or sled, and the only other thing I can think of would be barbell complexes or crossfit type workouts (30 snatches for time, etc.). Additionally, I read an article on T-nation about how sprint training is dangerous compared to other forms of conditioning. I plan on disregarding that statement, but is there any truth to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul1 View Post
    How much conditioning and / or weight loss can you accomplish with 60 total seconds of effort per week?
    Not much. But he'll enjoy himself.

Quote Originally Posted by par2941 View Post
    What is your opinion on sprints overall, when compared to other forms of metcon/energy system training? Right now I don't have access to a prowler or sled, and the only other thing I can think of would be barbell complexes or crossfit type workouts (30 snatches for time, etc.). Additionally, I read an article on T-nation about how sprint training is dangerous compared to other forms of conditioning. I plan on disregarding that statement, but is there any truth to it?
    Sprints are better than any "metcon" option, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Sprints are better than any "metcon" option, in my opinion.
    If it's not too complicated or lengthy, why do you believe that to be the case? I'm genuinely curious, as this has been my conditioning of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by par2941 View Post
    Hello Mr. Rippetoe,

I am currently doing the Texas Method and find myself carrying a little bit more pudge. I would like to start doing some metcon in the form of interval sprints, and I would like your input on how to program them. Previously during my SS program I tried to add in sprints for 2 weeks before I realized recovery was too hard.

I am thinking that I will start by adding a day in either Tuesday (before my light workout) or Saturday (right after my intensity workout). Previously I did 4x100m sprints (about 15 sec/sprint) with a minute and a half rest period. As I progress further I plan on working up to 6x100, and maybe later reducing the rest periods. Additionally, I run on an indoor track (200 meters), so that means I have to run around the curves of the track. Perhaps I should program a little differently so I can just run along the straight edges?

Your criticism is welcome.

start on lane 8, its the straightest you'll get, plus its common courtesy to the actual track runners to let them train on the inside lanes since they'll be moving faster

Sprints offer a hormonal response along with some anaerobic conditioning. They can be detrimental to recovery from strength training if overdone because sprinting by definition is an all out effort.

Quote Originally Posted by tzanghi View Post
    If it's not too complicated or lengthy, why do you believe that to be the case? I'm genuinely curious, as this has been my conditioning of choice.
    If conditioning is the actual goal, anything that produces the metabolic stress without the eccentric soreness is better at producing the adaptation without interfering with the rest of your training.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr View Post
    Sprints offer a hormonal response along with some anaerobic conditioning. They can be detrimental to recovery from strength training if overdone because sprinting by definition is an all out effort.
    Couldn't the hormonal response augment strength training, then?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast