starting strength gym

Thread: Elbow movement during the presses

Default Elbow movement during the presses

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I go to a lot of different strength websites, and one of the popular topics that I constantly see these days is internal rotation of the shoulder during press exercises. A lot of people say it's horrible for your shoulders. My elbows do flare a little bit on the way up on both movements, but I never really feel any bad shoulder pain, just some dull aches on the anterior portion of my left deltoid.

I was rereading the bench press chapter today, and since I've recently been bombarded with the internal rotation topic, something you said stood out to me. You talk about how the lats and the delts are supposed to stabilize the humerus by exerting equal amounts of forces on it at the same time to prevent elbow movement. Then you say that failing to do this causes shoulder problems.

So here's the questions...

Is this elbow movement caused by not focusing on external rotation (by using the "elbows to ribs cue for example)?

Does internal rotation on the presses, or letting the elbows flare out a little cause shoulder problems?

or....

Am I just completely misunderstanding the concept of stabilizing the humerus during the presses?

I'm personally under the impression that the internal rotation topic is just bullshit, and always have been. But reading that part of the bench press section made me think otherwise.

This is apparently over my head. I don't understand what you mean by "internal rotation" in the press.

Shoulders in "front" maybe? (Similar position when you fail to bench and lift your shoulders up)

i don't normally post here. but thought I would give it a shot.

I think when people say benching in external rotation they simply mean with elbows tucked vs elbows flared out to the side, and on presses to simply keep the elbows forward instead of flaring the elbows out.

This is how i do all my benching and presses and it keeps inflammation down in my elbows and shoulders compared to how I used to flare out on presses once i get passed my head. It is a bit of a grind though, but keeps my joints feeling better, and I managed to get to 190x4 on TM 2 weeks ago, and 170 5x5 on Monday.

This is a perfect example of not understanding basic anatomy, using the wrong terminology, AND NOT KNOWING HOW TO COACH the press.

Amazingly enough if you teach the proper grip in the bar everything is taken care of. It's really that simple.

That's exactly what I was talking about, Bayn.

And Rip, I was basically asking if not doing this really is bad for your shoulders. Sorry for the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Bryant View Post
    Amazingly enough if you teach the proper grip in the bar everything is taken care of. It's really that simple.
    I would like to know what you mean by this. I don't see the relationship between grip and elbow position. You can still flare your elbows out or keep them tucked regardless of which grip you take, correct or not. Its about keeping the elbows under the bar and the forearms vertical, not about which grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayn View Post
    I would like to know what you mean by this. I don't see the relationship between grip and elbow position. You can still flare your elbows out or keep them tucked regardless of which grip you take, correct or not. Its about keeping the elbows under the bar and the forearms vertical, not about which grip.
    When you grab the bar with the proper width, rotate your thumbs down to place the bar on or as close as possible to the heel of the hand, squeeze the bar and rotate you elbows under and slightly in front of the bar it is nearly impossible to have anything but the correct start position. At this point some will require a chest up cue but I have tought a shit load of people to press and proper grip set up and bar position on the hand puts most in the proper start position every time.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Beau Bryant View Post
    When you grab the bar with the proper width, rotate your thumbs down to place the bar on or as close as possible to the heel of the hand, squeeze the bar and rotate you elbows under and slightly in front of the bar it is nearly impossible to have anything but the correct start position. At this point some will require a chest up cue but I have tought a shit load of people to press and proper grip set up and bar position on the hand puts most in the proper start position every time.
    I see your point, Thanks.