starting strength gym
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Want to do crossfit games

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by atb5161 View Post
    If you're really serious about being a games competitor, look to places like OPT, Outlaw, and Invictus. They routinely send people to regionals and the games. Look at how they train their athletes and emulate that. Heck, send James Fitzgerald, Rudy Nielson, or CJ Martin an email and see what they have to say.

Having never done any olympic lifting is going to be a huge problem. At a minimum you're going to need to be able to snatch around 250# and CJ 300# to be competitive. Sound like you're strong enough, so I'd go out and find a proper olympic lifting coach. Good luck

My $.02

I used to go to Rudy's gym. He's a great guy and a fountain of knowledge. Would definitely be a good person to talk to. I would also recommend Jeff Tincher (not sure about last name spelling) at Crossfit Fairfax, in Fairfax, VA. Super smart, placed in the CF games while in his 40's, and very friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    The homophobia and calling stuff gay is uncalled for regardless of your opinion of CrossFit.
    Well Davey, let's talk about that, since I'm not interested in talking about CrossFit. This term, "homophobia." Are people that do not approve of homosexuality actually afraid of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Well Davey, let's talk about that, since I'm not interested in talking about CrossFit. This term, "homophobia." Are people that do not approve of homosexuality actually afraid of it?
    Well, for the one's that don't approve because they secretly find the idea of sucking dicks really alluring and difficult to resist, yes.

As I've said before, the correct term should be misohomosexual (same Greek root as "misogynist") but gays don't use it, perhaps because it sounds too gay.

Look, gays have won the culture war in a rout (latest example: your kid's breakfast cereal is now gay - http://www.theamericanconservative.c...-lucky-charms/). Maybe it's time to rein in the thought police a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by dpinsen View Post
    Cross Fit isn't my thing, but some of the criticisms of it here seem like b.s. Let's see:

1) Risk of injury? That's true of any kind of rigorous training, including Starting Strength.

2) Stupid/pointless form of competition? A matter of opinion, no? Strong Man competitions might look stupid to some, but Practical Programming includes sample workouts to prepare for them.

3) People kissing up to a prickly leader? Pot, meet kettle.
    You make a lot of stupid arguments, but this one is pretty up there.

1) No one, and I mean NO ONE, has gotten rhabdo doing starting strength, nor is there a long list of shoulder injuries, exploded Achilles's tendons, etc associated with the program.

2) This is moderately fair, though you have to admit that having people ride fucking exercise bikes in a stadium is among the stupidest things ever.

3) Couch is not "prickly", and Rip tolerates/encourages a level of dissent among the people here (and inside his own organization) that would never be tolerated in Xfit. It is to laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    Well, for the one's that don't approve because they secretly find the idea of sucking dicks really alluring and difficult to resist, yes.
    I know a couple of preachers like that. But is it really sufficiently widespread to create another bullshit vocabulary word?

This term, "homophobia." Are people that do not approve of homosexuality actually afraid of it?
    We characterize oils and fats as "hydrophobic". Are these compounds actually afraid of water?

People who are deficient in factor VIII have "hemophilia". Do they actually love bleeding?

Ah. It's a medical term. I should have known.

Often, yes. It's more the vehemence of the response that is telling. If one understands homosexuality as one orientation along a natural spectrum of possible orientations toward sexual attraction, then it's difficult to understand why one would go to such lengths to denigrate it and even attempt to violently suppress its expression in others. Those who do the latter appear to feel threatened by its mere existence in others. "Feeling threatened" and "being afraid of" are fairly synonymous in common English usage.

Now you use the much less provocative phrase "do not approve of" in an attempt to lend sentiments of intolerance toward homosexuality a more dispassionate air - but what would you say of someone who "does not approve of" someone else's race or gender or eye color - or Texas accent, for that matter? "Not approving of" only makes sense with respect to behaviors that are elected and can be changed (OK, so Texas accent is maybe not the best example) - "not approving of" something about someone else that is unalterable - and that in no way involves you - must have some more emotional basis, and some sort of "fear" or "feeling of being threatened" seems a reasonable inference.

starting strength coach development program
    The perfect public school/university response. Please explain how it is normal/natural/"genetic" to be attracted to something along a natural spectrum, but it is somehow not normal/natural/"genetic" to be disgusted by it.

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast