starting strength gym
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A brief, personal observation on cardio/strength

Default A brief, personal observation on cardio/strength

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Just sharing.

I haven't done any cardio for 19 months. When I exercised, I did HIIT on my exercise bike. It has 8 settings. 1 is easiest, 8 is hardest. I used to do 20 minutes. 6 minute warm up on 4, then 20 seconds on 8, 40 seconds on 3 and repeat that for 9 sets. 5 minute cool down. It would kick my ass.

Currently, I'm at least 60lbs heavier than when I was.

Did the same HIIT last night, having not done ANY cardio for 19 months.

It was pretty easy. I'd done squats of 355lb for 5x5 the day before too.

So, I wasn't as fit as I thought I was, and adding 250lb+ of squat has had an impact.

Weird isn't it?

Not really. Quite a common report throughout these threads.

Played in a racquetball tournament in Flagstaff, AZ. I never got winded. It kind of freaked me out actually. How does someone that hasn't done any cardio for nearly 4 months and hasn't played racquetball for 6 months NOT get winded in Flagstaff? I would say that I wasn't trying very hard but my muscles said otherwise. My lungs were fine, my legs not so much.

Robert

I'll add my experience here I guess.

Last time I used my C2 model D rower was back when I was doing crossfit at 5'11 185. My squat was a pathetic 215x3. I now weigh about 243, and my squat has doubled to 425x5. Per Jordans suggestion, I decided to start rowing 1-2 times a week.

So I dig the rower out of the closet, get on it, and decided to row a 500 to see how well I do, and I beat my all time best by about 1.8 seconds, after not doing it at all (or any conditioning really for that matter) in about 2.5-3 years.

I was pretty surprised.

Really?

I've had the complete opposite effect. I've gained about 50lbs in the past 2.5 years in conjunction of strength training and added caloric intakes.

I don't do any cardio training, but I went on a vacation somewhat recently with a lot of hiking, and it was absolutely brutal. In fact, during one of the hikes, I basically got so physically taxed that I ended up vomiting all of that wonderful acid that the body produces when it's gassed. This has never happened to me and I'm 27. I played soccer a few times over the summer, and again, it was pretty brutal. Unquestionably worse than when I was lighter.

I was actually going to make a totally separate thread about this hoping Rip would answer. I know you're extremely adamant about strength training being beneficial in just about every venue of physical activity, but based on my personal experiences lately, it's been the opposite entirely. I'm not even that heavy. I'm 5'10" and went from about 150lbs to 195lbs. I feel like I have pretty decent lift numbers for my weight, but when it comes to running around or climbing things, I've taken a dramatic hit. I have more power doing those things, yes, but I get winded substantially quicker.

That said, these are very insignificant instances in my life, and in no way affect my lifting mentality. I much prefer being heavier and stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by 2011holidayschedule View Post
    I don't do any cardio training, but I went on a vacation somewhat recently with a lot of hiking, and it was absolutely brutal. In fact, during one of the hikes, I basically got so physically taxed that I ended up vomiting all of that wonderful acid that the body produces when it's gassed.
    If your body produces acid and deposits it in your stomach when you hike, and getting stronger over a couple of years has adversely affected your ability to hike, you are in fact very different.

It could have been a total freak accident. I had absolutely no food before the hike, and it was immediately after waking up. On the other hand, the people in my group (all of them with substantially less muscle mass) were in the exact same situation as I was, yet didn't seem to have nearly as many issues as I did.

Maybe it was an isolated incident? All I know is it was extremely frustrating, especially since I did a two month program of 20-rep squats which were far and away the worst physical thing I've ever had to do, and was basically passing out/panting at the end of those sets.

Yeah, maybe it was something else besides the training. Since virtually every other human being who has trained has reported otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by 2011holidayschedule View Post
    It could have been a total freak accident. I had absolutely no food before the hike, and it was immediately after waking up. On the other hand, the people in my group (all of them with substantially less muscle mass) were in the exact same situation as I was, yet didn't seem to have nearly as many issues as I did.
    So, you had been doing days of endurance cardio exercise, not fueling properly, and bonked on a hike and the first thing you determined was that it was because of strength training? I would more likely have gone with the whole low glycogen stores and potential hangover symptoms.

starting strength coach development program
    I pulled 400 and squatted 350 while gaining 70lbs and doing no conditioning , and I couldn't walk the stairs without gassing. I feel a lot better since I started doing BJJ and some HIIT.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast