starting strength gym

Thread: Curious - what makes upright rows "the most useless exercise in the world" (p214)

Default Curious - what makes upright rows "the most useless exercise in the world" (p214)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I can think of a lot of really useless exercises, but after noticing the upright row being described as the most useless or unfortunate exercise ever invented several times in the book, I'm really curious what it is about that particular movement that elevates it to such a dubious distinction.

Is it just ineffective, or somehow dangerous, or both?

They teach an arm pull, which interferes with the clean and snatch, and they accomplish nothing that is not already being accomplished with the rest of the workout.

In my own experience, they have produced some really painful A/C joint misery as well. It seems to me that they are an effective variant of the press behind the neck or pulldown (or pullup) behind the neck that results in shoulder impingement.

Also most people do them with far too narrow a grip, which internally rotates the shoulder. As your shoulder abducts in this position it causes the head of the humerus to impact with connective tissue (bursa, rc etc) couple this with added weight and people wonder why they have shoulder pain.

They are also extremely hard on the rotator cuffs.

Quote Originally Posted by madmaxaus View Post
    Also most people do them with far too narrow a grip, which internally rotates the shoulder. As your shoulder abducts in this position it causes the head of the humerus to impact with connective tissue (bursa, rc etc) couple this with added weight and people wonder why they have shoulder pain.
    Shoulders will be internally rotated irrespective of grip width. You are of course correct that internal rotation + abduction is a bad combination for the shoulder joint.

Quote Originally Posted by mrflibble View Post
    Shoulders will be internally rotated irrespective of grip width. You are of course correct that internal rotation + abduction is a bad combination for the shoulder joint.
    Absolutely, I should have been clearer, I just meant that the narrow grip used by many puts the shoulder in a more compromised position rather than changing the internal rotation.

I like to do face pulls, which are somewhat similar of a movement and hit the same muscles, but make the shoulders feel great.

What's it really accomplishing that the deadlift + (shoulder) press aren't already?

That's why I'd think it was useless.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    In my own experience, they have produced some really painful A/C joint misery as well. It seems to me that they are an effective variant of the press behind the neck or pulldown (or pullup) behind the neck that results in shoulder impingement.
    I second this comment. 2 years ago on Labor Day, I basically did upright rows for an hour lifting 6 and 7 year olds out of the water onto a pontoon. Both shoulders were worthless due A/C joint pain when holding up anything in front for a month after. They still flare up from time to time and have not been completely right since. Not worth your time.