starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dropping bar in deadlift between reps

Default Dropping bar in deadlift between reps

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Is this cheating? The book to lower it as fast as you safely can, but is that in the context of still holding the thing or if I can safely drop it is that sufficient? Thanks.

If you drop the bar, i.e. let go of it at the top and let it fall unimpeded from the top without your hands on it to guide the descent, you are being a histrionic fool. This is disrespectful of the gym and its equipment, and lazy to boot.

It's not enough to just drop the bar after a deadlift/clean/snatch/jerk.

What you want to do is actually throw it down so it makes as much noise as possible, so everyone turns around at the noise to see just how terribly strong you are.

Now that's elite.

Damnit Rip for once would you stop equivocating and give a clear answer? Reading between the lines here I am going to go with "don't drop the bar".

Quote Originally Posted by rhett View Post
    Damnit Rip for once would you stop equivocating and give a clear answer? Reading between the lines here I am going to go with "don't drop the bar".
    I used to cause the security to come see if someone had broken in to the building.

I don't think Rip is telling you NOT to drop the bar, he's just saying you're an obnoxious, disrespectful bastard if you do. The choice is yours, just as it's the gym owners choice to kick you the hell out of his premises.

Assuming bumper plates and a platform or other cushion flooring, I think Rip was pretty clear. You guide it down to make sure it hits evenly and doesn't bounce all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott dc View Post
    I don't think Rip is telling you NOT to drop the bar, he's just saying you're an obnoxious, disrespectful bastard if you do. The choice is yours, just as it's the gym owners choice to kick you the hell out of his premises.
    Ha, I don't think that gym will kick me out for that seeing that 1) everyone there including the gym owner drops the bar and 2) I am the reason that gym has flat concrete floors in the first place. But don't worry, my histrionic, lazy bar dropping days are behind me.

There was nothing equivocal about that post.

starting strength coach development program
    He was kidding, tersh. Was it that subtle?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast