starting strength gym

Thread: novice adaptation question

Default novice adaptation question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Rip:

You've talked about how with the novice effect the linear progression slows (smaller jumps) as the novice moves up in weights. I am a novice lifter that is very deconditioned from a 4 month layoff, but was getting closer to more of an "Advanced Novice" stage at the point when I had to take the layoff due to life putting its foot up my ass.

My question is, should I be able to bounce back a little quicker to that Advanced Novice stage than what it would take for someone who has never lifted before? Meaning, should I be able to sustain 10lb jumps on the squat for a longer period of time?

For example, at the point of layoff, my work sets were as follows:
    SQ: 275
    DL: 345
    PC: 165
    BP: 220
    OP: 130

My most recently completed work sets are:
    SQ: 205 10lb jumps
    DL: 255 15lb jumps (DLing once a week currently)
    BP: 150 5lb jumps
    OP: 100 5lb jumps
    PC: 135 5lb jumps (probably lighter than necessary at the moment)

Also, my bench started out frighteningly weak... a week ago 145 wasn't easy. This week, 150 was easy enough to crank out 8 reps on the last set with no problem. Maybe I am just being impatient, but I am just AMAZED at how fast I lost all that progress. Never ever again will I let this happen.

If you're not back to those numbers in 4 weeks, you're being a pussy. It comes back faster than it goes away.

Smooth re-entry after various length lay-offs at various levels of training advancement would make for an interesting article/sticky. Maybe combined with some rehab pointers (even if it's just the advice that these are too individual and have to be addressed on a case-by-case basis)?

Or does this already exist? I seem to have a habit lately of asking questions that have already been answered...

awesome. thanks.

This is a frightening amount of strength loss in four months. Is this level of loss typical?

Follow up question... you say 4 weeks for those numbers. PC is going to be no problem, as I just hit 155 for 5 triples on Tuesday. If I look at the other numbers, that's 17.5lbs a week for squats and bench, 22.5lbs/wk for DL, 7.5lbs a week for press.

These increases seem very reasonable for really everything except maybe the bench and press. 105lb for my press on Monday was by no means easy. Nearly 20lbs a week on bench... is this realistic? Maybe I'm just being a vag.

Quote Originally Posted by rhett View Post
    This is a frightening amount of strength loss in four months. Is this level of loss typical?
    It's not frightening, since it comes right back and especially since it's not really gone. He was just being a pussy that day.

Quote Originally Posted by tweakxc03 View Post
    Follow up question... you say 4 weeks for those numbers. PC is going to be no problem, as I just hit 155 for 5 triples on Tuesday. If I look at the other numbers, that's 17.5lbs a week for squats and bench, 22.5lbs/wk for DL, 7.5lbs a week for press.

These increases seem very reasonable for really everything except maybe the bench and press. 105lb for my press on Monday was by no means easy. Nearly 20lbs a week on bench... is this realistic? Maybe I'm just being a vag.
    Quit being a pussy.

point taken.

starting strength coach development program
    welp. call me an ax wound. missed 305 today for deadlift after the 3rd rep... grip failed hard. I tried to switch to mixed grip in the middle of the set but that was too late. I am supposed to be at 345 in 2 weeks... looks like I need to eat a lot more.