starting strength gym

Thread: Measuring legs

Default Measuring legs

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Rip.

Due to dorm issues on the squat ( asymmetrical stance) I'd like to know how to properly measure my legs to make sure they're the same length.

I don't know anyone who can properly do this and know nothing on it myself. I was wondering if you or anyone else could link me to some information on how to properly measure. Sorry if this has previously been asked.

Matt.

You can't do it yourself. The pelvis has to be made level, then the patellas, ankles, and heels are observed for discrepancies. Someone else that can figure this out will have to do it.

Thanks. I'll try and sort this out.

The only real sure fire way to know would be by x-ray. I had a doctor who claimed you could do it by yourself, or at least get someone to help you, by lying down and holding a tape measure at the iliac crest (top of the hip bone) down to the ankle, but it's difficult to find exactly where the top of the iliac crest is, where exactly your ankle ends, etc. And the x-ray is a specific one that (as far as I know) only a few specific places might do, it's not necessarily a general x-ray due to the measuring.

I do it without an x-ray all the time.

starting strength coach development program
    If you want the actual anatomical leg length (opposed to the functional which would include the pelvis) you measure between your Trachanter major (the big bony protrusion you can feel proximally in your lateral thigh) and your Malleolus lateralis. I personally have one shank being 1cm shorter than the other which can be measured from the lateral gap between femur condyles and lateral malleolus and therefore performed by myself. You'd be best off following Rip's advice and get someone else to measure it for you.

Unless you want to know if your pelvis is twisted (which usually happens on top of an anatomical leg length difference due to the difference in force being transmitted through the respective sides of your pelvis), you won't need to level it and can have this done by a friend while laying on your back.