starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Podcast 5 is up

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Yes I understand. What you both discussed was fine and might I add very enlightening. As I have said before Mark is very easy to listen to and understand even though some of the subject matter he discusses is at times rather comprehensive. However with both of you discussing this wholistc approach to injury management I was right with you all the way. Don't take this as a criticism but more of an observation. This discussion format is great although ending a little abruptly.

I appreciate you both and the trouble you go to make this information available, I hope you can continue. You did succeed.

Just off the subject, when the dog goes down you can get this stuff called "Rapidgel", you can use it on horses as well, I even use it myself, stinks a little though.

Quote Originally Posted by wal View Post
    Well what about when you add age to this wholistic approach? Don't older folk take longer to recover anyway? What I mean is I have this stupid elbow tendentious that just seems to go on and on. I am not doing anything except at times stick a restrictive band below the elbow, other than that it is business as usual. I have not stopped exercising, I mean training.

If I go to the physio he will only given me some stretching exercises and tell me stay away from the barbells for a while. However its not getting worse, its static, I just put up with it.
    I had a similar problem. Terrible golfer's and tennis elbow that just nagged for months. I would go get injections and lay off the arm and that would work...for a while. Eventually I realized I was just going to have to accept it. As long as I could do the work I would. After some months (9, 10?) the pain just went away. Have my tendons thickened and strengthened? Have I just fried the nerves? I have no idea but for me training through it worked. I have full mobility and no pain. There's pain, and there's pain. When it got bad enough I saw a doctor, but when it was just an annoyance I trained through it and I am glad I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Waskis View Post
    So "protect" is really nothing more than performing their normal function, while allowing the injured component to perform its normal function, correct?
    Yeah. It's not complicated.

Your comment about the role of lactate facilitating healing is interesting - are there any resources you could point to where I could learn more or is this observation just based on experience?
    There are sources. Look them up.

Quote Originally Posted by wal View Post
    Just off the subject, when the dog goes down you can get this stuff called "Rapidgel", you can use it on horses as well, I even use it myself, stinks a little though.
    When the dog goes down, it's restful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    When the dog goes down, it's restful.
    Yeah I bet, especially when it's chasing underground mutton.

Well I get it from overuse, plus 40 years of using screwdrivers. I have had cortisone in both shoulders as well, it sought of worked and I have been to physios numerous times for elbows and shoulders, and you know they give you that piece of rubber strip to tie to the door handle etc, but I like this all inclusive approach, lighter weights, while maintaining the ROM.

The biggest drag is age, as I hit 60 recently and injuries just seem to take longer to heal, however with this type of training I reckon I have preserved myself from some of the more serious health problems that age brings. Also knowing how to lift loads correctly saves you from serious back injuries and maintains balance. It is a spin off from barbell training, and it appears that Mark Rippetoe seems to know what he is talking about which is an added bonus.

Are you and Stef sharing a mic? Your levels are much hotter than hers. If you are sharing a mic that explains it. If not, Stef, you need to project more. Hopefully you have a mixer and compressor. Also Stef when you get your levels you need to maintain that distance or closer to the mic, a closer distance will give you a little proximity effect and add some low end which will also help.

We appreciate the technical advice.

Also, when recording 2 inputs like that it might be worth experimenting with some subtle panning to give the listener a feel as if they are in the room. Nothing major, just maybe panned slightly left on mic 1 and slightly right on mic 2.

Thanks again.

starting strength coach development program
    Anytime!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast