Thread: Terrible sleep after lifting heavy, cant recover

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by johnkuc View Post
    This is a great article which will help you out-

http://npcnewsonline.com/powerbuildi...the-gym/63930/
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This is a great article, and I don't normally link to outside training stuff because most of it is stupid.
    Thanks for allowing the link. That was an great read.

I rest 4-5 minutes between sets. The day this happens I do 5x5 squats, 5x5 press/bench press, 1x5 deadlift and 4-5 sets of weighted pullups. I dont think calorie intake is the problem since I've seen weight gain in the past month.

I had similar issues on TM, on monday nights I had trouble sleeping after VD, once I switched to 4 day routine it helped a lot. I also then moved my volume squats friday and ID squats to tuesdays, which also helped more since I would go to bed a bit later on the weekend and could sleep in.

But my issue when everything was on the same day was that my heart rate stayed elevated all the way up to like 1-3 am until I would finally fall asleep and get 5-6 hours of sleep. With it split, of course my workouts end about 45 minutes earlier, which gives me more time before bed but the overall stress on each day is less and I feel less thrashed by the end of everything.

This is like pulling teeth. Age/bodyweight/strength levels. When you decide to provide more complete information, I'll look at this again. Maybe tomorrow, might be Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by sillybilly View Post
    I rest 4-5 minutes between sets. The day this happens I do 5x5 squats, 5x5 press/bench press, 1x5 deadlift and 4-5 sets of weighted pullups. I dont think calorie intake is the problem since I've seen weight gain in the past month.
    for whatever my 2 cents is worth....

i had very similar issues after the VD workout too. It didn't last too long though, after a couple weeks i moved my rest time to 8mins instead of 5 it made a night & day difference to how i felt after a set and the rest of the day after the workout.

Sorry, age 28, male. 6'3 , bodyweight - 205lbs.
    Latest volume day :

squat 5x5 day @ 245lbs
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 315lbs
    Press 5x5 135lbs
    5 sets of 5-7 pullups with 40lbs weightvest

My heart rate doesn't stay elevated for that long post workout, I'm not sweating or overheating before bed time, everything is normal in that sense and I am able to fall asleep. I just find that I wake up a few hours before I actually should and cant go back to bed and the actual sleep isn't deep sleep its very shallow, easily disturbed with lots of tossing and turning midway through the night.

I had the same problem. Magnesium supplementation after lifting and before bed cleared it up right away. Natural Calm seems to work the best.

Quote Originally Posted by johnkuc View Post
    Buddy, you are overdoing it. The Texas Method can be too tough for some trainees. This is a great article which will help you out-

http://npcnewsonline.com/powerbuildi...the-gym/63930/
    I read the article and it seams he contradicts a lot of what I read here. Maybe I'm reading it wrong but it sounds like Stan is more of a HIT guy since he advocates 1 "max growth" set per exercise.

Latest volume day :

squat 5x5 day @ 245lbs
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 315lbs
    Press 5x5 135lbs

My heart rate doesn't stay elevated for that long post workout, I'm not sweating or overheating before bed time, everything is normal in that sense and I am able to fall asleep. I just find that I wake up a few hours before I actually should and cant go back to bed and the actual sleep isn't deep sleep its very shallow, easily disturbed with lots of tossing and turning midway through the night.
    Sometimes you'll sleep badly. We all do. Sorry. I think you need to gain some weight, and this may help.

Quote Originally Posted by sniperfrog View Post
    I read the article and it seams he contradicts a lot of what I read here. Maybe I'm reading it wrong but it sounds like Stan is more of a HIT guy since he advocates 1 "max growth" set per exercise.
    Yeah, he doesn't repeat our program ver batem. You're very observant.

starting strength coach development program
    Latest volume day :

squat 5x5 day @ 245lbs
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 315lbs
    Press 5x5 135lbs

I sleep poorly like this on the days I do HIIT. I do that at noonish and go to bed usually around 9pm. I don't have an answer to you as we are not very similar to each other in gender or age. I think it's just too stimulating for me. I have not yet died from a lack of sleep, however, so I try not to let it bother me too much.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast