starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Terrible sleep after lifting heavy, cant recover

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I started to have a problem with sleep on training days once I hit 40. I started taking Motrin PM a half hour before bed and quit eating a couple hours before bed and that solved it.

Quote Originally Posted by ryno72 View Post
    I started to have a problem with sleep on training days once I hit 40. I started taking Motrin PM a half hour before bed and quit eating a couple hours before bed and that solved it.
    For me at 42, just the opposite in regards to eating before bed. After working nutrition with Jordan & mentioning my poor sleep, he suggested a "good whack of protein & fat before bed" (he suggested Natural Calm too, which I also use). I started working 2-3 tbls peanut butter, and a scoop or 2 of whey into my macros as a pre-bed snack (literally before I brush my teeth and head to bed). Had immediate improvement effects on the quality of my sleep. Even my wife has noticed how much my sleep/restlessness has improved since this simple advice.

The timing on this question is just right, as I've been having sleep issues the last couple of weeks. I workout right after work, ~5:50-7pm, drink a shake, eat dinner, then head to be between 8-9 (alarm goes off at 4am). I thought maybe it had to do with my PW shake.

I actually skipped Monday night's session (and stayed home from work) because of it. While I didn't lift on Sunday night, I did spend the weekend climbing up and down an extension ladder and painting the fascia on the house in prep for new rain gutters. Leaning backwards while on a ladder and painting overhead all weekend did a number on my abs and obliques. I'm still a bit sore.

As it stands, I don't know if it's the exertion, nutrition, or insomnia that causing my poor sleep. An OTC sleep aid taken an hour before bed has helped the last two nights, but I don't like the idea of taking them. Magnesium supplementation has been suggested by friend, and now I see it here, so I'm thinking I will give that a try.

starting strength coach development program
    My n=1.

37, male, 292, 6'2"

SQ: 340x5x3, DL: 365x5, BP: 230x5x3, P: 150x5x3, P Snatch: 110x2x6

Still pushing LP with Advanced Novice program.

Not eating enough was causing bad recovery.

Sleep was affected, especially on Monday and Friday, my heavy days. Clouldn't sleep more than an hour at a time without OTC sleep aids like Advil PM. (I always take melatonin and ZMA.)

After bumping macros from 300/340/150 to 320/360/150 I immediately noticed better recovery from WOs and was able to sleep through the night (with piss break, normal).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234