starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Podcast 7 is up

Default Podcast 7 is up

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    http://startingstrength.com/index.ph...nnel_episode_7

I talk to Tom Campitelli about coaching.

Wow! That was by far the best podcast, yet.

It's really great to see how the model is evolving and I think this is probably the best introduction to Starting Strength, the system, I have seen/heard, to date. Bravo!

It also did a really great job through Tom's example of describing a plausible progression for a Starting Strength coach, answering the question: "Who are these guys, where do they come from, why is their opinion worth more than that of so many others clamoring for my attention?"

The gut level insistence on the value of the system lying in the offering of well-thought-through rationales (perfectly illustrated by evoking the counter-example of the assistant principle in high school ) was also terrific.

Nice.

You've got some explaining to do, Mark.

I have no explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperfluxe View Post
    You've got some explaining to do, Mark.

Here's your explanation: Tom Campitelli's on a boat.

Tom is a successful outcome. A professional interview. I still eat almonds though.

How is geology more "hard science" than a quality exercise science program? I believe in the latter you have a similar mix of "hard sciences" e.g. mechanics, muscle chem/physiology, neuroscience and mathematics for movement control. Seems weird to me since you like to bash on exercise science programs. For the record, I don't study either of them...

Advise us about where we might find such a program.

Quote Originally Posted by YVO View Post
    How is geology more "hard science" than a quality exercise science program?
    Why don't you read a couple issues of Geology, GSA Bulletin, Geophysical Research Letters, Journal of Geophysical Research, etc. Then compare to the ex fizz journals, and decide for yourself.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Advise us about where we might find such a program.
    I know of a couple of movement science (which was the term I should have used instead of exercise science) programs in The Netherlands, either as part of biomedical sciences/engineering or standalone, which should fit the bill. But I guess the field has more of a development still to make in the US.

Why don't you read a couple issues of Geology, GSA Bulletin, Geophysical Research Letters, Journal of Geophysical Research, etc. Then compare to the ex fizz journals, and decide for yourself.
    Reducing movement science to ex fizz is a mistake. You read a couple issues of Biological Cybernetics, Journal of Neuroscience, Journal of Biomechanics, Journal of Human Movement Science etc. and then tell me the integration of multiple hard sciences is not comparable.... Or, at least, I think it's getting there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast