• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Sqwt View Post
    ...girlfriend of the last 11 years...
    Dude, put a ring on it.

Late to thread.

Nice job, Rip.

Shit, I'm glad you got this taken care of now, sqwt, and didn't dick around trying to rehab an imagined Achilles problem according to the diagnosis of our latest forum troll.

And Rip, once again, you illustrate the importance of depth and quality of experience.

Wow. Talk about a home run. Nice work, Coach.

Fricking internet docs! You ripped of a contribution towards at least 3 physicians retirement plans.
    Great call Rip.

Here's the deal that to me is pretty amazing. You needed to read well into the fourth paragraph to see anything that really jumped out as a possible DVT. It would have been pretty easy to get to paragraph three and quit reading, especially when you answer hundreds of posts every couple days. Compound that with the fact that unless you have had experience with a DVT it was still pretty easy to miss.

Not to keep sending accolades Rip's way but really this was pretty cool.

For the OP. find out why. I'm sure they have done blood work. If its genetic get your family tested. After mine a few of my close relatives tested and now take an aspirin a day. I'm sure you are seeing a Doc that will explain all this but if you have any questions let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Trewarin View Post
    Dude, put a ring on it.
    Oh, I will. She's awesome. I have the proposal all planned out and everything. It will be glorious, glorious I tell you! Not to derail the thread, but we've had problems financially for a while, couldn't afford a ring, much less a wedding. We're both working good full time jobs now after finishing our education so things are really picking up. And yes, she lifts.

As far as lifting is concerned, the docs said that shouldn't be a problem, and I can train like I normally do. I think I'll wait a little bit with the heavy squats and deadlifts until the swelling goes down. The area around the achilles / lower calf is still nagging me. I'm confident this will pass once the blood thinners start working their magic properly. But hey, I'm alive and well, so all in due time. All in due time.

Question for Beau: How did you deal with your DVT as far as training is concerned? Did you change your training somehow, or was it business as usual?

In the aftermath of all this I've had some time to think, among other things about injuries and training. How do you deal with injuries, and when do you train through them? I guess it's a case of finding a balance between not being a pussy and not being a dumbass either. I was convinced I had hurt my achilles somehow so all efforts was focused on fixing that. I was back on the LP going for new PR's and wasn't about to let some minor injury stop me. Damn, that was stupid. I eventually seeked the help of a PT when I really should have gone to the ER. I believe having the benefit of a good coach present in such cases is invaluable. Internet forums can only go so far, but in this case the advice really turned out to be invaluable.

If there's a lesson to be had here, I reckon it would be to seek medical advice when shit suddenly starts to hurt for no apparent reason. Don't ignore pain. Most doctors might now know much about lifting, but they do know lots of Other Stuff. Do not trust your own half-assed diagnosis until you get a professional to check it out, it might very well be something completely different than you thought. Don't be a pussy, sure. Don't be a dumbass, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Bryant View Post
    For the OP. find out why. I'm sure they have done blood work. If its genetic get your family tested. After mine a few of my close relatives tested and now take an aspirin a day. I'm sure you are seeing a Doc that will explain all this but if you have any questions let me know.
    Absolutely. The DVT merely demonstrates that there may be underlying pathology here, and that it must be further evaluated.

Here here Rip! Marvelous job! And many thanks to Simma for rerouting the question to Rip's Q&A.

Toasts all around!

starting strength coach development program
    Before we get too busy sucking each other's dicks here, what did the OP do about the clot?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast