starting strength gym
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Achilles tendinopathy and plantar fasciitis

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Treatment for the clot consists of taking blood thinners to dissolve the clot gradually. I do two subcutaneous injections of Klexane daily, as well as 3 pills of Marevan daily. I'm getting my INR levels checked every 4th day or so until we hit a sweet spot around 2,5. It's still not quite there.

Once the INR level is where it's supposed to be, Klexane is discontinued and I will continue with Marevan for three months. I'm not sure how they verify that the clot is gone, I will ask the doc on Monday.

Beau: That's very generous of you. I will pick you up on your offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sqwt View Post

Question for Beau: How did you deal with your DVT as far as training is concerned? Did you change your training somehow, or was business as usual.
    Not medical advice but I will tell you what I did. My DVT was from
    A genetic clotting disorder. I was on thinners for a year. As far as training goes this was my only real concern. Any crack to the head or fall can be a problem.

I was in the hospital for 5 days. I took it easy for a week while I waited for the blood work to come back. I started back light and worked back slowly. I wore a compression sock for about 2 or 3 years. This helped with the vascular pain that would kick in towards the end of the day. It's also just a good idea for you to wear them. I could do nothing with impact without some pretty good vascular pain later in the day. If I jogged across the street it hurt that night. This is now gone but that part of the leg is always tight. Never really can stretch it out.

Learn the symptoms of DVTs in other parts of the body (shortness of breath) and make sure your family knows them. If it happens get to the ER to be checked.

You will be fine. In a year or so you won't even think about it really.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Bryant View Post
    Not medical advice but I will tell you what I did. <snip>
    Thanks for the input, Beau. I do realize it's not medical advice, but it's really helpful to hear from someone who has gone through the same ordeal. We still don't know what the reason for the DVT was. I do have celiac sprue, and some automimmune diseases increase risk for DVT. Celiac sprue apparently can cause several hemotological problems, but I've been gluten free for 5 years now.

I will ask the doc to do extensive blood work in order to help finding the underlying reason. He said that sometimes they just don't know why DVT's happen. Shit happens. There's no known family history of blood clots, though. Varicose veins, yes, but as far as I can tell there's no increased risk for DVT because of those. We'll see what the doctors find out.

I wasn't in the hospital for very long, about half a day. Did a D-dimer blood test first, got the results, did an ultrasound that confirmed the DVT, got instructions on how the treatment would happen courtesy of my regular doc and a prescription for blood thinners. The doc told me this is standard procedure for DVT's, hospitalisation only happens when the DVT has moved on up to the lungs and patients are experiencing shortness of breath. I've taken a few days off to deal with this whole situation, and I'll go back to work on monday. Back in the saddle, right?

I gotta admit, I'm still a bit anxious about the clot breaking loose. I will get compression socks, seems like a good precaution. As far as training goes my press and bench press pretty much suck after a recent cut, so I would like to try to progress those normally in a while they don't cause any problems. Heavy squats and deadlifts I will wait with, as these clearly aggrevate the affected leg.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Bryant View Post
    You will be fine. In a year or so you won't even think about it really.
    You know, this is surprisingly comforting to hear. And ever so slightly disconcerting. I had this idea that after 3 months of treatment things would be pretty much back to normal, but I realize it will probably take longer than that and there might be some lingering after-effects. But hey, I'm alive and well, and that's most important. If I have any further questions I will send you a PM.

This is a very useful thread for me right now. I just came back from the hospital. On Tuesday a single walk down the stairs had my heart going like I was doing intervals, and I had to hold on to trees to walk down the street to get the bus. My heart was going nuts and I couldn't seem to breathe in enough air for the life of me.

I ended up in the emergency room that night, and the following day I received my diagnoses: pulmonary embolism, caused by a DVT one month before, that I got from doing speed deadlifts. It didn't feel like anything, just a tweaked gastrocnemius. I didn't have any of the reddening or major swelling and tenderness to the touch, just some lingering pain in the foot in the same areas as described by OP. It would seem that the clot found its way to my lungs and caused so much swelling that my right ventricle had little room to work, which explained how short of breath I was.

I have no family history on this sort of issue and after speaking to the doctors my lifestyle was not one to predispose me to clots, seems mine was "random".

So now I am also on blood thinners and getting past the scare, but feeling a lot better, despite a bit of lingering chest pain that I'm told is lung swelling and should disappear on its own in the next week(s).

You "got" a DVT doing deadlifts? Are you absolutely sure of this?

This is just sheer speculation on my part, but I've been suffering from a bad lung thing (severe coughing fits, scary asthma), and I've noticed a lot of other reports of bronchitis, etc. from people I know.

Researchers apparently suspect a link between C. pneumoniae, a common cause of bronchitis and other lung ailments and atherosclerosis related stuff, including DVT. I wonder whether incidence of DVT in atypical populations (young, healthy, etc.) spikes along with incidence of lung infections?

Shion? Sound familiar?

Quote Originally Posted by Simma Park View Post
    This is just sheer speculation on my part, but I've been suffering from a bad lung thing (severe coughing fits, scary asthma), and I've noticed a lot of other reports of bronchitis, etc. from people I know.

Researchers apparently suspect a link between C. pneumoniae, a common cause of bronchitis and other lung ailments and atherosclerosis related stuff, including DVT. I wonder whether incidence of DVT in atypical populations (young, healthy, etc.) spikes along with incidence of lung infections?
    I haven't read much on that. Something to look into. I'm wondering what type of work up he had. I would hope a good doctor would have done all the blood work. I found a great hematologist that did a great work up and sat down with me and explained what had happened in detail. It seems that genetic blood clotting disorders (factor 5 for example) are not terribly uncommon. In fact they think a pretty sizable chunk of us walk around with one of them. It's speculated to be an evolutionary defense mechanism. Those that clotted the quickest were most likely to survive. Most have no family history because they rarely get turned on. After mine we found out my brother, sister, dad, one of my sons, and a couple nephews all have it. It's likely that everyone on my dad's side of the family had a 50/50 chance of having it for a very long time. I was the first DVT that we know of in our family history.

My symptoms started after heavy front squats. I do not blame heavy front squats for the DVT. Hematology is some complicated shit as I have found out after having this.

No, I used to have asthma when I was a kid, but that ended around age 5 and I think I only ever had 1 attack, from what my mom tells me. No other respiratory troubles apart from that, never have coughing fits of any kind.

The doctors going over my legs with the ECG equipment said it was a DVT. It seemed to be located in a small deep vein in the calf, and/or another one that seemed to be medial to the vastus medialis, or under it. I have an appointment on Tuesday morning, and I will confirm every

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You "got" a DVT doing deadlifts? Are you absolutely sure of this?
    I missed answering this question correctly. No, I cannot be absolutely sure that the DVT happened because of deadlifts. But the DVTs location correlates exactly with where I had my pain during the deadlift set, somewhere between the lining that separates the soleus and the gastroc, on the left leg, near the knee, and it's the only injury I've suffered in the lower limbs in the last three months, and the lingering foot pain on that leg was atypical of a simple pull. I guess it could've happened any other way, and it is possible that because it's the only thing I mentioned that's what the doctors jumped to as a cause.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast