Squat Depth Efficacy Squat Depth Efficacy - Page 4

starting strength gym
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 42

Thread: Squat Depth Efficacy

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    44,292

    Default

    • wichita falls texas february 2021 seminar
    • starting strength seminar april 2021
    • starting strength seminar february 2021
    I wonder why?

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I wonder why?
    Six year worth of assbananas would make anyone walk crooked.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sqwt View Post
    That about wraps it up. But let me play devil's advocate here for a minute, if nothing than for the sake of discussion. Strength is obviously the primary concern for members of this board, and that's why we squat. A lot. Some trainees, however, have other goals than just strength where the squat is still a useful tool, such as in developing a pleasing set of glutes. I've seen the paper below used as an argument for squatting ATG instead of just breaking parallell, especially if your goals are more based on aesthetics than strength. The primary reason being that ATG squats activates the glutes more than in a parallell squat. Here's a paste of the relevant portions with some added emphasis:



    Source: The Biomechanics of Squat Depth - Brad Schoenfeld

    So there you have it. I find it curious that the paper deals with muscle activation and focusing on glutes VS quads, but nothing about strength as a whole. I wouldn't know what to argue here if a trainees goal is Dat Ass and uses this paper as evidence to do ATG squats. If their spine lumbar doesn't go into flexion when they squat ATG then have at it for all I care. Hell, they can do it if their spine is all over the place. I'll keep squatting to slightly below parallell and mind my own business.
    I would love to have this conversation with you, but first we would need to define exactly what a great ass is...

    Also, I would love to respond to the merits of the article. However, since elite class powerlifters were used in the research (which means, no doubt, they were wearing their Inzer suits and knee wraps), I don't know how to respond - the results probably have a lot to do with how much each lifter got out of his equipment.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    6,559

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Rhett. AssBanana.
    That was a quick change, it took a lot longer for Kregna to officially become Vegetableboy.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    3,486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sqwt View Post
    That about wraps it up. But let me play devil's advocate here for a minute, if nothing than for the sake of discussion. Strength is obviously the primary concern for members of this board, and that's why we squat. A lot. Some trainees, however, have other goals than just strength where the squat is still a useful tool, such as in developing a pleasing set of glutes. I've seen the paper below used as an argument for squatting ATG instead of just breaking parallell, especially if your goals are more based on aesthetics than strength. The primary reason being that ATG squats activates the glutes more than in a parallell squat. Here's a paste of the relevant portions with some added emphasis:



    Source: The Biomechanics of Squat Depth - Brad Schoenfeld

    So there you have it. I find it curious that the paper deals with muscle activation and focusing on glutes VS quads, but nothing about strength as a whole. I wouldn't know what to argue here if a trainees goal is Dat Ass and uses this paper as evidence to do ATG squats. If their spine lumbar doesn't go into flexion when they squat ATG then have at it for all I care. Hell, they can do it if their spine is all over the place. I'll keep squatting to slightly below parallell and mind my own business.
    So why are we still on this?

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    44,292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PEBCAK View Post
    That was a quick change, it took a lot longer for Kregna to officially become Vegetableboy.
    When things become obvious quickly, we can be very efficient.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,257

    Default

    I tried to keep my vegetarianism to myself, but someone saw me eating a pepper with quorn

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mkamaryn View Post
    However, since elite class powerlifters were used in the research (which means, no doubt, they were wearing their Inzer suits and knee wraps), I don't know how to respond - the results probably have a lot to do with how much each lifter got out of his equipment.
    Yeah, I really hadn't considered that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Santana View Post
    So why are we still on this?
    We're not anymore, not after the AssBanana post. Not much more to say after that.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    West Bend, WI
    Posts
    10,969

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PEBCAK View Post
    That was a quick change, it took a lot longer for Kregna to officially become Vegetableboy.
    True. And I have been petitioning for Kitten Commander for years! :-)

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    4,177

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Boy, you're sure right about that. Clarity has always been a problem for me.
    I remember back in grade school we had an assignment to write some instructional paper about a topic of our choice. I picked shooting a basketball, because I hadn't yet grasped that the dwarfish kid wasn't making the NBA. The teacher told me to assume the reader had ABSOLUTELY no idea what they were doing, and be as clear as possible in order to adequately instruct them. Obviously, you have been overestimating the intelligence of certain people.

    Side Note: I still look at JJ Barea and wonder what could have been.

    Quote Originally Posted by rhett View Post
    Don't say "don't even think about stopping high; just go to the bottom" if what you really mean is "stop a few inches before you get to the bottom". Why not clarify the distinction between the two and lay out your position for why JBP is better than ATG?

    But I like the character on display here. I recently made an observation that helped the author Sam Harris improve the clarity of his wording. His response? He sent me a signed copy of every one of his books in thanks. I make an observation about the language of your book that, if they are being honest, any English speaker would interpret differently than you intend and your response? More snarky, smart-ass comments.
    Aha! There it is! This is all just a ploy to get free books.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •