starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Squat Depth Efficacy

Default Squat Depth Efficacy

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Coach, Would you rather see a trainee break parallel with 405 or do 350 ATG? Is there a way to quantify the difference in the range of motion with the lighter weight versus the heavier weight just below parallel?

Which makes you stronger: Going 6 inches below parallel with a light weight, or going just below parallel with a heavier weight?

Rip, I think that perhaps his question isn't a matter of what MAKES you stronger as much as it is a question of what would be the more impressive TEST of strength between those two?

Rip, correct me if I'm wrong, but another instructive question might be, why can one squat less weight when squatting ATG? The answer is in the book OP, but you have to do some thinking. Read page 16 in SSBBT: 3rd Edition. For the same reason the Low Bar squat is preferred around here over the High bar squat, the squat to just below parallel is preferred over a deeper squat. At least I hope so, or Rip will lambaste me.

I started to delete the post, because when it is obvious that the OP has not read the book I lose interest in typing. But I thought you guys might step up to the plate here.

Rip's approval of this comment indicates he believes just breaking parallel with 405 is the preferred of the two options in the original question.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bag View Post
    Is there a way to quantify the difference in the range of motion with the lighter weight versus the heavier weight just below parallel?
    Sure. The physical quantity of work which is force multiplied by distance.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bag View Post
    Is there a way to quantify the difference in the range of motion with the lighter weight versus the heavier weight just below parallel?
    There is also peak torque around the knee which I believe is higher with 405 than with 305 regardless of how deeply they are squatted.

If you get your 1rm squat to 500- just below parallel, you can squat 315 ATG - even if you haven't ever gone ATG before.

If you get your 1rm ATG squat to 315, you can't put 500 on your back and squat it to just below parallel.

And that's all there is to it.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mkamaryn View Post
    If you get your 1rm squat to 500- just below parallel, you can squat 315 ATG - even if you haven't ever gone ATG before.

If you get your 1rm ATG squat to 315, you can't put 500 on your back and squat it to just below parallel.
    Except that is probably a false choice. If you get your 1rm to 500, just below parallel, with any practice, you can probably squat closer to 405 ATG. And if you squat ATG 405, you may ver well put 500 on your back and go to just below parallel.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast