starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Squat Depth Efficacy

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I interpreted SS3 to mean I should go ATG. I just reread the squat section and don't see anything that says stop just below parallel. It specifically says don't stop until you hit the bottom, to perform the full range of motion.

Quote Originally Posted by mkamaryn View Post
    If you get your 1rm squat to 500- just below parallel, you can squat 315 ATG - even if you haven't ever gone ATG before.

If you get your 1rm ATG squat to 315, you can't put 500 on your back and squat it to just below parallel.
    To add to this, the low-bar squat is the mechanically superior movement, as it allows for greater involvement of the posterior chain as part of the movement pattern known as hip drive. Squatting high bar ATG limits the ability to involve the posterior chain as it requires a slackening of the hamstrings, resulting in the consequent inability to produce force with these highly important muscles. Come on guys, I know some of you must have read the book.

Quote Originally Posted by rhett View Post
    I interpreted SS3 to mean I should go ATG. I just reread the squat section and don't see anything that says stop just below parallel. It specifically says don't stop until you hit the bottom, to perform the full range of motion.
    Please interpret Figures 2-1, 2-9, 2-10, 2-13, 2-23 and every other illustration of the squat in the book for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Please interpret Figures 2-1, 2-9, 2-10, 2-13, 2-23 and every other illustration of the squat in the book for us.
    The book could stand some clarity on this point. If you are saying you should stop just below parallel then stop calling it a full range of motion. I'll spell it out for you - if you can keep moving it wasn't a full range of motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahogany View Post
    To add to this, the low-bar squat is the mechanically superior movement, as it allows for greater involvement of the posterior chain as part of the movement pattern known as hip drive. Squatting high bar ATG limits the ability to involve the posterior chain as it requires a slackening of the hamstrings, resulting in the consequent inability to produce force with these highly important muscles. Come on guys, I know some of you must have read the book.
    You are equating ATG with high bar squatting. Why? If you do a low bar squat, you can stop just below parallel or you can keep going. What does high bar have to do with this discussion?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I'll interpret it for him, Rip:

"It was my ass talking, I haven't read the book"

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jones View Post
    Except that is probably a false choice. If you get your 1rm to 500, just below parallel, with any practice, you can probably squat closer to 405 ATG. And if you squat ATG 405, you may ver well put 500 on your back and go to just below parallel.
    How many times have you seen the second scenario play out? If someone squats 405 ATG and it's a pretty good fight. 500 is not close.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jones View Post
    Except that is probably a false choice.
    Nope, no it isn't.

If you have the potential to develop a 405 ATG, maybe you can handle a 500 parallel squat- but if your ATG max is 405 (and you only train ATG), you're probably not going to pull off a 550 parallel squat. So, why not spend your time and energy getting your parallel squat up to 550 so you can ATG 455? Or, maybe just forget about ATG completely so that you can do the things that will maximize your strength gains.

As far as I understand thus far, squat dept should be the maximum possible as long as the following conditions are met;

1)stretch reflex
    2)hamstrings actively engaged
    3)spine functioning as a rigid link

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by rhett View Post
    The book could stand some clarity on this point. If you are saying you should stop just below parallel then stop calling it a full range of motion. I'll spell it out for you - if you can keep moving it wasn't a full range of motion.
    Boy, you're sure right about that. Clarity has always been a problem for me.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast