starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Podcast 8 is up

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    senile dessication of the nucleus pulposis
    No offense Dr J, But I would rather see Markus Rippetoe MD.

See me do what, wal?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    See me do what, wal?
    You don't have to do anything. Just tell me how "senile dessication of the nucleus pulposis" will stuff up my lifting. Anyway you know what they say, you should always get a second opinion. What are your surgery hours?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    See me do what, wal?
    You know. That thing.

Excellent stuff. People injure themselves out of the weight room not so much inside it, very much what I've observed.

One thing I've noticed about the "minor tweaks" is that these decrease in frequency as the novice becomes stronger... and then increase as the intermediate becomes advanced. The risk of injury vs activity level appears to be a U-shaped curve.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Aaron View Post
    Excellent stuff. People injure themselves out of the weight room not so much inside it, very much what I've observed.

One thing I've noticed about the "minor tweaks" is that these decrease in frequency as the novice becomes stronger... and then increase as the intermediate becomes advanced. The risk of injury vs activity level appears to be a U-shaped curve.
    Wow, pretty much spot on as I'm concerned.

I've injured myself more times having sex than lifting. Whether this tells us more about my sex life or my lifting, remains to be discovered.

I'm on the same par as Kyle. Lifting with a competent instructor is much less likely to result in injury than picking something up off the floor or sitting with terrible posture at a desk all day long.

I do have a question though and don't know if anyone can answer this but, on one hand, it makes sense that having more muscle to support the spine can only be a good thing...

HOWEVER... what good does this extra muscle and support do when flexing a spine that contains a herniated disc? We can't walk around doing Valsalva and holding everything 'tight' all day long and it's probably movement patterns repeated badly that cause said disc issues.

Does that make sense?

Thank you, it was very informative.

Obviously you need to stop boning fat chicks

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by gruntjc View Post
    HOWEVER... what good does this extra muscle and support do when flexing a spine that contains a herniated disc? We can't walk around doing Valsalva and holding everything 'tight' all day long and it's probably movement patterns repeated badly that cause said disc issues.

Does that make sense?
    Not really. Even a herniated disc is not under enough load in every position it happens to occupy during the day to make it continue to degenerate. There are other discs to take a share of the loading, and most positions do not place that much stress on any one disc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast