starting strength gym

Thread: Hip problem when sitting

Default Hip problem when sitting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Question for some pain my wife is experiencing while sitting, trying to figure out what/how she needs to stretch the problem out. This issue also occurs in other situations but the sitting scenario produces it every time.

If she is sitting on the floor with her femur in front of her so it's 90 degrees to the torso, like if someone were sitting on their feet, but she'll move her tibia to the outside of the femur and the inside of the foot will be flat on the ground with the toes pointing away. Since the tibia is on the outside this causes the femur to rotate internally and somehow she is able to place her ass on the ground.

I have no idea how this position is even possible because when I try to sit like this my ass is about a foot off the ground and I cannot even rotate my feet externally far enough to place the inside of my foot flat on the ground.

Now she can sit like this for any period of time, but when she tries to move from this position and put weight on her right leg, there is a sharp intense pain on the right side of what appears to be around the anterior superior/inferior iliac spine. She says it feels like a rubber band is stretched to far and it's going to snap.

I'm not sure if it has something to do with the sartorius muscle, or if it's some sort of tendon problem or if it's possible to have an impingement in that area.

I know the simple solution would be "don't sit like that" but it's happened a few times when squatting, and now even when walking a few miles it starts to get sore and painful.

Oddly enough she can sit like that and finds it comfortable, but is not flexible enough to sit Indian style, or while sitting having legs in front, if she touches the bottom of her feet together and brings them towards the pelvis she cannot put her knees on the ground. This makes me wonder if it's some sort of muscle imbalance/tightness.

I don't have Netter in front of me now, so somebody else figure out what muscle has an origin at ASIS/AIIS and inserts on media femur that would be stretched in internal rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I don't have Netter in front of me now, so somebody else figure out what muscle has an origin at ASIS/AIIS and inserts on media femur that would be stretched in internal rotation.
    Sartorius.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
    Sartorius.
    That's what I mentioned, I just don't understand why that would be causing pain when it is essentially unstretched.

On another note the chiropractor says she has a slight pelvis tilt and her right side Sacrotuberous ligament is significantly tighter. They can't take x-rays because she's knocked up.

Sartorius inserts on medial tibia, not the femur.

It's probably just adaptation to carrying the new load of the baby. Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Cenova View Post
    Sartorius inserts on medial tibia, not the femur.

It's probably just adaptation to carrying the new load of the baby. Congrats!
    Thanks!

It's been hurting her off and on for 10+ years though, so not just because of the baby. That's why I'm trying to help her figure out what's going on specifically right now, I imagine pelvis/hip problems could become more serious as the pregnancy goes along and then finishes.

starting strength coach development program
    Yup, you're right, sorry about that. Saw ASIS and internal rotation and jumped the gun. Thanks for the correction.