starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Squat handles

Default Test results

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Played around with the handles last night. Did a few light sets to get the feel. I like it! Very stable, no strain on the soulders at all. My forearms are longer than my upper arms(cleans are a nightmare) and squatting aggrevated my shoulders. This felt very comfortable.

Tonight i'm going to use them during a real workout with much heavier weights. I'll post an update after. If these prototypes prove functional I'll design/make a final version.

Quote Originally Posted by Trewarin View Post
    Either design needs a high density rubber to prevent damage to knurling/give a better grip on the bar.
    Not really. I tightened the bolts lightly and is was rock solid on my bar. Could not move it if I wanted to. I did a couple of sets and removed the handles, no damage at all to the knurl. Surface area was big enough.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgmo View Post
    iam so afraid that when either these or some Rip-approved ones that are mentioned here as well make its way into the world, people will have yet another excuse not to learn how to properly squat low-bar.
    Let's make them really really expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert NL View Post
    Played around with the handles last night. Did a few light sets to get the feel. I like it! Very stable, no strain on the soulders at all. My forearms are longer than my upper arms(cleans are a nightmare) and squatting aggrevated my shoulders. This felt very comfortable.

Looks like they worked exactly as I have foreseen. I am very wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Looks like they worked exactly as I have foreseen. I am very wise.
    Yes sir you are!

Just did 170kgx5 180kgx5 190kgx4 with them. Had to hold back a bit because I promised myself a deload week before the seminar.

They work as advertised! Thanks for inventing these Rip.

I think Kirkham did the inventing, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I think Kirkham did the inventing, actually.
    David you're a genius! Credit where credit is due. Now build yourself a pair.

Default Update

DOMS in rear delts.

I was never able to get my elbows up much because of long forearms. If I did my hands would slide over the bar leaving my wrist on top of the bar. A much wider grip did solved that to some extend but maintaining a tight upper back was a challenge. I would loose tightness at the last few reps hurting my shoulders/elbows even more.

The squat handles allowed me to get my elbows up much more. The "shelf" for the bar was much more pronounced because of it. I gues that hard isometric contraction made my delts sore.

This thread is getting pretty old now but if anyone is cruising this forum, wants a pair of squat handles and doesn't have access to CAD and a damn metal shop, I posted these a while ago:

http://startingstrength.com/resource...=Dougie+straps

They worked great for me and cost $20 for two pair.

Do they prevent the bar rolling in position on your back?

Quote Originally Posted by dschmale View Post
    This thread is getting pretty old now but if anyone is cruising this forum, wants a pair of squat handles and doesn't have access to CAD and a damn metal shop, I posted these a while ago:

http://startingstrength.com/resource...=Dougie+straps

They worked great for me and cost $20 for two pair.
    These scare me. Although if you used a metal pipe it would be slightly less scary

starting strength coach development program
    Now that this tread is active again I like to report this.

Since squatting with me squat handless my elbow tendonitis and shoulder irriations are a thing of the past.

I always blamed my bench for the elbows since they never hurt during the squats. Hurt like hell coming of the chest in a bench. Spent a lot of time trying to perfect my bench form but no effect. Now my bench is going up again without any issues.

Tried my first warm up set without the handles yesterday and immediatly felt my previous pains.

I would always advice to try and make a regular squat grip work first and I certainly tried a long time. If pain persist and you have short upper arms/long forearms like me try them!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast