starting strength gym

Thread: Back Injury

Default Back Injury

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am 32, 180#, and my current lifts are 445/295/465.

This happened about 4 weeks ago to lesser degree but occurred again today. I was able to recover in a week and pull 445# two weeks later. I was deadlifting working up to a new PR of 485. At 455, I pulled the first 3-4" off the ground then felt a 'pop' and sharp pain in my lower back. The pain is significant enough that I could not perform the press 2.0 with the bar without a significant pain.

After the first time, I went to a chiropractor who did a physical examination and measured my balance. He said my hips were good and could not feel any misalignment in the back. I only had a 5 pound differential on the balance scales. He performed a readjustment and noted I had poor flexibility in the hips, hamstrings, and ankles. I did not have X-rays done. I since then had two sessions with a massage therapist to work on my IT bands which have been bothering me.

My questions are this: Should I get X-rays done on my back?
    I have a planned rest week next week and was then going to continue my progression. Should I reload the deadlift and focus on sets of 5 pain free versus maxing out?

Any help would be appreciated. I have no experience dealing with the chiropractors, massage therapists, and injuries like this.

X-rays are of no use diagnosing an injury like this, but they may reveal pre-existing pathology that may have contributed. So you probably need to get them done at some point. We always recommend training through a situation of this type, as you have noticed if you have done your homework.