starting strength gym
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Training with high blood pressure

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Who told you to reduce your salt intake?
    Mayor Bloomberg, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post

This post is for infotainment and ejumacational porpoises only and does not constitute medical advice for any particular person, patient, disease, injury, condition or cetacean. No doctor-patient relationship obtains here. Sully has not examined you or even given this case much thought. The fact that you even read his post evidences serious shortcomings in judgement on your part. This post is just Sully's incoherent, uninformed and irresponsible babble, and does not represent the opinion of any other entity, institution, corporation, hospital, collegium, congregation, club or militia. You should always follow the advice of your doctor, even if he doesn't know what the holy blue fuck he is talking about. Remember: he knows more...than you do. Your portion is obedience. Unwavering, unquestioning, blind obedience. Any other approach courts certain disaster.
    Sully, that is some of the finest legal drafting I've observed in my 20 year career.

Who told you to reduce your salt intake?
    The doc who diagnosed the high BP. Said he'd give me more detailed instructions after the stress test. But since the stress test was 'abnormal', the only instructions thus far were to have a nuclear stress test.

The only thing abnormal about the test was that my BP exceeded the limit that they like to see under stress. Nothing specific on the EKG.

I've decided to keep training as long as I feel good and see what they say after the next test. My objective at this point is to get off of the medication and just keep the BP under control via exercise and diet.

Quote Originally Posted by bpgillespie View Post
    Thanks for all the responses. I'm feeling much more confident in just continuing the program. Especially given that I'm 4 weeks in and have only been feeling better since I started.

I understand the potential for bad readings, but I'm also assuming that my pressure is still too high. I'm walking in addition to my lifting workouts, so I expect that will help. What sort of dietary changes do you recommend? Aside from 'reduce your salt intake' I haven't gotten much guidance yet.
    Unless you are of recent African descent or have kidney disease reducing your salt intake is unlikely to substantially improve your blood pressure. I would try it and see. Losing fat while preserving or increasing muscle mass and intermittently stressing your cardiovascular system may help. Dietary changes which support this are usually good ones.

Hey, Philbert, I'll not mince words: The doctor is an uninformed quack. You don't get to say stupid shit like this and expect to be paid. Gillespie, you are a fool if you follow ANY recommendation you were given by this moron. Get a second opinion at your convenience.

What's this salt shit, like 25 years behind the time? Do doctors go through medical school and never read new information or change their thinking? I imagine by the time a doctor is finished with their training almost everything they've learned is outdated and wrong.

Here's an idea, if you have a medical problem (not immediately life threatening) spend 2 hours doing research, and see what the research says... Find some articles and then try to find some medical studies on what the article says, or follow the source links and see if you agree.

I just read an article by a doctor whose opinion was that normal bp of 160 was fine for most people. You know when I used to visit the dentist my bp would be like 150/100... They were always like "you have high bp" and I'm like "no shit, my body knows what's about to happen".

So you bp was 170, did you test it at home, when you're not at a dr office and nervous? Did you test it a couple times to rule out any anomalies?

Get sea salt, pink salt or my favorite is Celtic sea salt, as long as the salt still has minerals its good.

Quote Originally Posted by bpgillespie View Post
    The doc who diagnosed the high BP. Said he'd give me more detailed instructions after the stress test. But since the stress test was 'abnormal', the only instructions thus far were to have a nuclear stress test.
    So they want to soak your myocardium with a radionuclide because your blood pressure was high? What the hell for? Why did you get a standard stress test in the first place?

Hey, Philbert, I'll not mince words: The doctor is an uninformed quack. You don't get to say stupid shit like this and expect to be paid. Gillespie, you are a fool if you follow ANY recommendation you were given by this moron. Get a second opinion at your convenience.
    Next will be the 'avoid saturated fat and red meat' talk.

How many ICD9 codes were on your bill? Thats the real question

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Desp View Post
    What's this salt shit, like 25 years behind the time?
    Yes, and at the time it was based on a flawed study which did not consider genetic and disease related contributions.
    Do doctors go through medical school and never read new information or change their thinking?
    yes, many do continue to practice exactly as they did after school.
    I imagine by the time a doctor is finished with their training almost everything they've learned is outdated and wrong.
    It is much worse than that. With regard to nutrition most of it is wrong before the training starts.

Get sea salt, pink salt or my favorite is Celtic sea salt, as long as the salt still has minerals its good.
    This is almost as silly as medical advice. Unless you have mineral deficiencies it would not much matter what minerals you get with your salt.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast