starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RPS(Rychlak Power Systems) still hasn't given me a refund

Default RPS(Rychlak Power Systems) still hasn't given me a refund

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Last August I was supposed to compete in my first Powerlifting meet..an RPS meet in the 165lb class. Unfortunately, I was forced to withdraw due to a knee injury preventing me from squatting. Upon contacting the organizer, Gene Rychlak Jr. over the phone, I was told it had been a month since I entered and he just could not give me a refund. However, I brought up the fact it had only been 28 days, and I had the receipt in my e-mail mailbox to prove it. Noting this, he agreed to sending me a check - which I never got.

Over the past 8 or so months I've made numerous attempts to contact him in order to get my money back. He has been constantly rude, hung up on me multiple times, and promised me a refund twice. Neither time have I received anything in the mail, and it's been months since my last contact with him. This man has no integrity, and quite frankly I don't care if this ruins his organization's reputation, because he had his chance. If he complies by sending me my damn $100, I'll take down this post(if Rip approves it going up in the first place). Thanks

First, we are not the BBB.

Second, the only reason I posted this is because I don't think the meet director owes you a refund, at all. When you enter a meet and you don't go to the meet, they still hold the meet. They still have expenses, and they still spent the same time holding it and the same money paying for it whether you're there or not. The goddamn aggravating things are expensive to hold, and the vast majority of them lose money. In essence, he agreed to hold the meet, and you agreed that it was worth paying him to participate if he held it. Had he cancelled the meet, he would owe you. But you didn't go, and why doesn't matter. Sorry about your knee, but welcome to the world of competitive sports. These things happen. Be more careful next time.

The only mistake he made was agreeing to send you a check. He fucked up here, and he owes you an apology for telling you that, and he might even morally owe you the money for telling you that. But he doesn't morally owe you the money for missing the meet.

Doesn't it all depend on what he agreed to when he purchased the ticket? They should've had terms or conditions up on their website prior to purchase, if not or if they don't guarantee any money-back then it's entirely at their discretion and they're not obligated to anything. Him promising you a refund is another matter, having (allegedly) done that he should be a man of his word.

If the agreement said the fee was refundable, it was a stupid agreement. I'd like to see it posted here. I think meet directors need to Butch The Fuck Up and stop rolling over to get these guys off the phone.

I've been to a couple of RPS meets and Gene runs a very good meet. But, I'm not sure he makes much money given the effort involved and the relatively low registration cost. If you don't show, that is a spot that someone else could have been in and money down the drain for him.

Quote Originally Posted by PDC View Post
    I was told it had been a month since I entered and he just could not give me a refund. However, I brought up the fact it had only been 28 days, and I had the receipt in my e-mail mailbox to prove it.
    Weird. Based on this, it makes is sound like there's a 30 day escape clause or something. Did it say in the fine print, "If requested, refunds will be offered within 30 days of registration."? That just doesn't make any sense if true. If not, then what difference would it make to you or him if it were 28 days, or 30 or 31?

Sorry for the double post, but I looked at some RPS entry forms, and they all say "No refunds will be made after entry deadline." In general, the entry deadlines appear to be approximately 2 weeks before the meet.

Here's a random form for a meet in April... http://www.revolutionpowerlifting.co...werPalooza.pdf (link okay?)

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Palmer View Post
    I'm not sure he makes much money given the effort involved and the relatively low registration cost.
    Meet directors/orgs are generally in the hole on pl/ol meets. This is before considering the work put in on the registration and running the event itself. They are not a place anyone makes any money without 1) outside sponsors 2) donated venues 3) sales of other crap at the meet. Meet directors are not making money off the lifters themselves at all.

I can't speak to the specific circumstances of the OP, but I've lifted in several RPS meets and brought lifters to several others as a coach. Gene has always run efficient, on time, fun, lifter-friendly meets that don't make a mockery of the judging. He's been friendly and helpful to me whenever I have had questions or inquiries.

We don't have any specific allegiance to any one Fed, but the SS Crew here in and around NYC have done all our meets thus far with RPS. They hold more local meets than anyone else, are easy to deal with, and run a good meet.

Again, I cannot speak to this one particular incident, but our collective experience with Gene and RPS has been very positive.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    First, we are not the BBB.

Second, the only reason I posted this is because I don't think the meet director owes you a refund, at all. When you enter a meet and you don't go to the meet, they still hold the meet. They still have expenses, and they still spent the same time holding it and the same money paying for it whether you're there or not. The goddamn aggravating things are expensive to hold, and the vast majority of them lose money. In essence, he agreed to hold the meet, and you agreed that it was worth paying him to participate if he held it. Had he cancelled the meet, he would owe you. But you didn't go, and why doesn't matter. Sorry about your knee, but welcome to the world of competitive sports. These things happen. Be more careful next time.

The only mistake he made was agreeing to send you a check. He fucked up here, and he owes you an apology for telling you that, and he might even morally owe you the money for telling you that. But he doesn't morally owe you the money for missing the meet.
    Thanks Rip..I just wanna point out that I entered the meet >2 months prior to the event, and withdrew + requested a refund several weeks before the meet was held. I'm sorry if I sounded harsh, or as if I was bashing the man, but my family's in a tough spot financially and he DID promise me a refund.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast