starting strength gym
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Manly Mixed Drinks

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Reynolds View Post
    What's foofy about Hendricks and vinegar? For the record I don't think any REAL drinks are girly. Martinis are manly when made with Hendricks and dry vermouth. As soon as you make it with Vodka and fruity shit, then it's no longer manly. Same thing with most original prohibition-era mixed drinks.

I unfortunately drink more than most on here and it's almost completely limited to whisk(e)y (scotch, bourbon, rye) and strong beers. Rip certainly has a much better collection than me, but at 35 years old, I have about 60 bottles, of all top shelf stuff and 40 of those are whisk(e)y. So...If you are going to make a boilermaker, why would you put shitty whiskey in it? I drink a fair amount of good Laphroaig (18 year and Cairdeas), so adding 1oz of Laphroaig 10 year cask strength isn't going to hurt anything, and it makes your boilermaker nice and smokey as it should be.
    What's your beef or choice for a boilermaker made with Laphroaig?

What's foofy about Hendricks and vinegar? For the record I don't think any REAL drinks are girly. Martinis are manly when made with Hendricks and dry vermouth. As soon as you make it with Vodka and fruity shit, then it's no longer manly. Same thing with most original prohibition-era mixed drinks.

I unfortunately drink more than most on here and it's almost completely limited to whisk(e)y (scotch, bourbon, rye) and strong beers. Rip certainly has a much better collection than me, but at 35 years old, I have about 60 bottles, of all top shelf stuff and 40 of those are whisk(e)y. So...If you are going to make a boilermaker, why would you put shitty whiskey in it? I drink a fair amount of good Laphroaig (18 year and Cairdeas), so adding 1oz of Laphroaig 10 year cask strength isn't going to hurt anything, and it makes your boilermaker nice and smokey as it should be.
    Heh, maybe if I had more top shelf liquor I'd be more liberal with its use. Sounds like you have a nice collection.

When it's stated as Hendricks and vinegar, it doesn't sound foofy - but in the context of a drink, "a nice balsamic" and basil are clearly gateway ingredients. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyRed View Post
    It can't be manly if it's called "Pink Gin."

That is a manly name for a drink.
    When the subject of the RN comes up manliness is generally in question unless the era is circa Admiral Lord Nelson.

Makers Mark old fashioned.

If you don't know how to make one...

Quote Originally Posted by niclane View Post
    Bella Morte:
    Start with ice in a mason jar, add:
    1) Hendricks Gin (4 oz.)
    2) Crushed basil (1 large leaf)
    3) Juice of half a lime
    4) A Tablespoon agave nectar
    5) Dash of good balsamic vinegar.
    6) Shake and drink in a mason jar.
    foofy
    I say that, if it has real ingredients and isn't cloyingly sweet (and the latter might still be fine if the sweetness comes with acid, bitterness, or strong herbal qualities/aromatics and it's meant to be sipped very occasionally in very small quantities or used as an ingredient in cocktails), it's manly because real ingredients are grown up and men are grownups.

Except for things made with something with a strong, sweet flavor mixed with vodka because the drinker doesn't want his palate to detect he's drinking alcohol. That is how a child drinks, not a man or a woman.

Real basil is a pretty complex, grown-up flavor. I have no idea why one would consider it "foofy". Same with a good balsamic, which is actually a brilliant ingredient in many desserts and serves the same purpose as citrus by lending an acidic brightness with interesting aromatic qualities. I can see how it might work well in a gin-based cocktail.

The only quibble I have with Matt's Bella Morte recipe is the agave nectar. I would probably use a brown sugar simple syrup instead. But it seems well balanced, not too sweet, and full of good aromas to me. And my taste in drink routinely makes men feel unmanly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Simma Park View Post
    -two parts silver tequila
    -one part black pepper infused vodka

Shake over ice, serve neat.
    Add cocktail onions to taste and/or a little sprinkle of the pickling juice.
    Goddamn. That sounds Manly.
    It's sharp and clean and delicious, but it requires moderation in consumption, which makes it extra manly.

It's one of the Ladies drinks I had in mind when starting this thread. Like the Zombie, Tequila Sunrise, Long Island Tea, Daquiris, Appletini. You know, Ladies drinks.
    Those are not Ladies' drinks. They're children's drinks.

Although I disagree on the daiquiri. A real daiquiri is simplicity itself: light rum, lime juice, simple syrup to taste (which, in my case, is not very much). It is a grown-up combination of acid, sweet, and aromatic. But what gets called a "daiquiri" in most bars in North America is shit. The daiquiri is also a great platform for other grown-up variations. I like to make them with light rum from sugarcane juice (vs. from molasses), which has a fresh, grassy flavor, and add some kind of aromatic accent using a fresh herb: basil, cilantro, tarragon, thyme, etc. Those with good spice tolerance should try floating a couple slivers of habanero/scotch bonnet pepper in it for the floral/peppery notes.

Quote Originally Posted by mark_nz View Post
    The Negroni.
    I actually adore one negroni. I can't drink more than one because of the sweetness.

Campari? This is an Italian form of bile, in a bottle.
    Hey now, I like bitter herbals. My beef with Campari is that it has too much sugar, and since they stopped using cochineal, the red color isn't quite so romantic anymore. But a Campari and soda with orange garnish is a perfectly civilized alternative to a gin and tonic.

I know you're not a fan of strong bitter tastes, but some of us are quite fond of them. I wish more bitter herbals came in less sugary variations, but for obvious reasons, they don't. I've thought about making my own by infusing vodka or everclear.

How did all of the quotes in Simma's post get attributed to me???

I stand by basil and balsamic on a cocktail giving the appearance of foofy-ness. But note that I did say I'll try one when summer gets here - should only be 5 or 6 more months now....

I love Campari, and am not above ordering a negroni for that matter.

I still can't quite abide by pouring perfectly good Islay malts into a glass of beer... but maybe that's just because I'm not awash in the stuff.

Damn it, now I'm thirsty.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Reynolds
    4) A Tablespoon agave nectar
    I don't think "nectar" can ever be manly.

At least not in a good way.

You can call it "bigass cactus juice" if you prefer.

starting strength coach development program
    Once you make it into tequila, it certainly qualifies as manly. Now "yeast" certainly has some un-manly connotations...

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast