starting strength gym

Thread: Is LBBS sufficient for strength development in the receiving position for snatches?

Default Is LBBS sufficient for strength development in the receiving position for snatches?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have a question regarding LBBS preference versus HBBS when training the olympic lifts that I haven't been able to find via search, so I apologize if it has been covered and I simply missed it. Do you believe it is unnecessary to train the full range of motion for the movement being performed in competition with the squat? In other words, do you feel that cleans, snatches, and front squats, alone, are adequate to train the body in the deepest positions?

I would think that it would be beneficial to train the deepest portion of the squat, the receiving position, in order to develop maximal strength for the lifts, but then again, I don't know as much as you--and I really don't mean that sarcastically. I realize that LBBS allows more weight to be lifted, and thus, builds more strength, so I can see it being a reasonable trade-off. I'm just curious to hear your perspective.

I believe it is necessary to train the full ROM in the competition movements, and that it is necessary to train the front squat separately. I believe, with all my heart, that if a person can squat 350 with the bar in any position on the back, that a 200 snatch will not be a problem for SQUATTING in any position or ROM. It may be a holding-overhead problem, but that is a PRESSING strength problem.

Thanks for your insight, Coach.

I also think it's very interesting that so many US weightlifting coaches continue to shy away from deadlifts and promote the S-curve, despite it coming to light that lifters like Klokov, Ilin, and the Chinese teams deadlift/heavy pull frequently (every session in some cases) and strive to have a vertical pull, while employing the back to a much greater extent during the 2nd pull. I'm sure there are others, too, but Klokov and Ilin have both said that they push up with the balls of their feet, too, and that it just isn't as noticeable when they're trying snatch/clean such heavy weights. And yet, whenever you suggest any of the preceeding, it's heresy.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    And yet, whenever you suggest any of the preceeding, it's heresy.
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...764#post889764