starting strength gym

Thread: Fractures, hardware, and their compromise; unlikely or inevitable?

Default Fractures, hardware, and their compromise; unlikely or inevitable?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Dear Rip,

In October of last year while biking through the trails of the frozen North, the mountains decided that I required an extra elbow joint in my right arm. After two ORIF procedures to repair displaced fractures of the proximal third of both my radius and ulna, I am the proud owner of two titanium plates (approximately 1/3 the length of my radius and ulna) and twelve screws.

Because I am not a fool, I skipped physiotherapy with paperweights and immediately began the program with wooden dowels and progressed with weight as permitted by my attending physician and moderated by physical pain. I have complete range of motion and am capable of deadlifting 235x5, pressing 95x5 and performing chins and weighted chins without pain. (I should note that in February I had an acriomioplasty and bursectomy, which was "rehabbed" with a diet of presses and chins).

My question is about to the kind of implant compromise that a far more legendary Mr. Jones experienced. I was not able to find information about the incidence rate of new bone growth displacing titanium implants, let alone data among lifters. I am not concerned that this event will "hurt" me; I in fact believe such a thing would be awesome. But I'm curious if you or anyone else thinks this is likely, and thus something I should keep an eye on, and if it is likely, what kind of warning signs should I watch for?

I have lifted religiously since I determined that a man of 23 years old should not weigh 95 pounds. I am now thirty, and prior to my accident weighed 170 pounds with a 350 deadlift, 315 squat and 105 press (see: acromioplasty). I currently weigh 150 pounds (narcotics made GOMAD impossible).

I can attach an image of my x-rays if you consider it relevant to my question, or a photo of paramedics hauling my stupid ass on a bright yellow stretcher out of a ravine if you consider it relevant to your amusement.

The long-term stability of the hardware will depend on it's location, and how well you grow new bone, neither of which I know. My advice would be to train as heavy as you can, and monitor the situation in light of the advice you get when you contact Brian and ask him what happened with his.

The photo on the stretcher might be funny to people with a Viking sense of humor, but it's probably better not to feed these people.

Photos or it never happened.

I'm glad my last name isn't Jones, seems to be a magnet for breaking bones.

Oh yeah, pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcon View Post
    I'm glad my last name isn't Jones, seems to be a magnet for breaking bones.
    Funnily enough, it wasn't until I legally changed my last name to Jones that I suffered the numerous injuries and associated corrective surgeries that have defined my late 20s. I'd enumerate them, but as I've already admitted to being pushed around by Her Majesty's landscaping, I'd like to salvage what I can of my tattered first impression. The entirely more handsome Mr. Jones has commented that he will speak with me in due time and I intend to give him my full attention, provided I do not lose a fight with my computer and end up in traction before day's end. Perhaps photographic evidence of My Most Public Embarrassment will be relevant to his amusement?

Hey Jason! Sorry for the delay. Had some family business that needed attending and have been out of town. Don't feel bad, you are in good company when it comes to the folks I have had to take rain checks with including: Rip & stef, Karl Schudt & "Workout Nick". I am at your disposal.

Rip - would you prefer Jason and I take this from the thread here or would it be beneficial for any questions and such be handled here for community knowledge?

Type away. Here is fine.

Sorry for the late reply, Brian, the wifi in Vegas is unreliable.

I'm not so much concerned about my training being compromised; yes I lost strength and size, but I figure this was an opportunity to begin again as a novice and have worked my way up to about 2/3 of my former strength.

I'm really just curious about the likelihood of hardware compromise. In your experience in speaking with other similarly injured lifters, is it a common occurrence? What tipped you off about your compromise? What should I watch out for?

Thanks so much for taking the time to speak with me.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJones View Post
    Sorry for the late reply, Brian, the wifi in Vegas is unreliable.

I'm not so much concerned about my training being compromised; yes I lost strength and size, but I figure this was an opportunity to begin again as a novice and have worked my way up to about 2/3 of my former strength.

I'm really just curious about the likelihood of hardware compromise. In your experience in speaking with other similarly injured lifters, is it a common occurrence? What tipped you off about your compromise? What should I watch out for?

Thanks so much for taking the time to speak with me.
    From the time I started training with the hardware in my legs, there were strange clicks & pops. An ongoing soreness and such. A dull ache now and again. I learned to live with it. Once the hardware began to become compromised I started feeling instances of sharp pain during particular movements - then nothing with other movements. The pins and screws eventually began to work there way out - -so they were moving from the bone back through the soft tissue towards my skin. That hurt. In some instances you can even see the heads of the screws, pins etc underneath the skin. From there I had surgeries to have the hardware removed. The first was in July for the right leg, the next was November for the left. I didn't allow the hardware to hinder my training. Train hard. Expect to be sore. If you feel sharp pains - -that is when there are issues. I should say in my case that was the instance.

starting strength coach development program
    The hardware on the distal end of my ulna has definitely become more prominent (although that could just be weight loss) but I'm not having any sharp pain, and I am able to clean, press and squat without pain. Deadlifts and pull ups cause some dull pain, but so does anything that requires a decent application of grip strength. If I start experiencing sharp pains I'll get another x-ray done.

Thank you.