starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting strength as a protocol for reseach in elderly populations

Default Starting strength as a protocol for reseach in elderly populations

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    A lot of people, some of whom are in my field, are trying to develop training protocols in elderly populations to restore and enhance motor and cognitive functioning.

Just today, a young lady gave a talk outlining her own research plan, which involved an experimental group of elderly citizens who would undergo training in action video gaming (cognitive) and latin dance training (physical).

Got me thinking, has anyone ever approached you or any other starting strength coaches with the idea of some sort of research collaboration?

I have a sense of your position on the state of exercise "science" (I read your recent article on the topic), but you don't seem to be fundamentally opposed to the scientific method.

A well conducted study, with an appropriate set of comparison groups and measures, could certainly be an important step forward in promoting proper barbell training as a safe and effective health intervention.

any thoughts?

Get busy.

I was at a grant writing seminar a while back and another faculty member where I work was applying for an R01 (a big NIH research award) to study HIIT for frail elderly with both functional measures and a variety of biomarkers as outcomes. There is grant money in geriatrics research. Just need to find the right partners.

If anyone ever needs help with this let me know. My gym and more than a few SS Coaches would love to help.

The problem with "studies" is that they don't make their way out to the general public. So the only people who debate them are those already firmly entrenched in their positions.

Are Mildred and Ethel going to be thumbing through an Exercise Phys journal while having coffee and free biscuits at the Cracker Barrel? Of course not.

If you wanna get old people training with barbells, worry about your local circle of influence. Train them and let them bring in their friends. Put out vids like Sully did. You'll get infinitely more converts with that approach than worrying about a formal study

I wouldn't be that skeptical. Mildred and Ethel probably won't be having their coffee while reading ExercisePhys, but they may read some shit saying "scientist discovered..", which wouldn't be that improbable. In fact, a few days back NIH director retweeted some "new" shit dealing with elderly and exercising (didn't read). So I'd say do the research and the media would pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    The problem with "studies" is that they don't make their way out to the general public. So the only people who debate them are those already firmly entrenched in their positions.
    I don't think this is a fair generalization, and remember that mildred and ethel aren't the target population for consuming this literature - their physicians and children are.

I also think that the first barbell intervention study on the elderly should be done correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by spacediver View Post
    A lot of people, some of whom are in my field, are trying to develop training protocols in elderly populations to restore and enhance motor and cognitive functioning.
    My cogs are functioning OK, thanks. And I ain't old yet. Well thats what I keep telling myself.

Doesn't matter. That's not how people get into things like barbell training. Everybody knows exercise is good for them - young or old. What will get them under the bar is confirmation from somebody else that it worked and didn't hurt them. They're looking for someone they can trust - both in character and competence.

starting strength coach development program
    Being in that target population, I'm really impressed with what Jonathan Sullivan is doing with Greysteel up in Michigan. I'm impressed enough that I'm trying to gather all sorts of information about what it would take in terms of money, personnel and management in order to do something similar in my area. I'll probably spend a year or more collecting information on feasibility, so something like this would interest me greatly. I'll happily volunteer to help in any way I can.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast