starting strength gym

Thread: Sacro-iliac tears and belt while deadlifting

Default Sacro-iliac tears and belt while deadlifting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Rip,

Four years ago I tore my sacroiliac on the left hip.

It didn't heal well. I was in a place with minimal health care available and had to work through it. It really sucked.

A little over a year ago the scar tissue that had formed tore loose and this time being stateside with good medical care it healed fairly well. Deadlifting was when the tissue tore.

Yesterday I had a much small tear occur while deadlifting. My chiro thinks it is more scar tissue letting go.

I've always deadlifted without a belt and squatted using a belt when over 225 pounds.

Since I apparently have a predilection for SI joint issues, would deadlifting with a belt help to reduce incidents of this kind or are these unrelated issues.

Thanks,

Tom

I have no experience with actual tears of the SI. Must have been a bad wreck. But in general, after you hurt your back, lift in a belt. Always.

Sorry to be pedantic but are you referring to warm up sets here aswell? I'm rehabbing a back injury at the moment and still lifting pretty light weight and was wondering when to add a belt.

Thanks Mark

If it's heavy enough to hurt you if you lose position, wear the belt. And don't lose position.