starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 14 year old olympic hopeful

Default 14 year old olympic hopeful

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Mark, I saw this story today about a 14 year old kid that is going for a world record this weekend (153kg C&J) and is considered an olympic hopeful. Heard of him?

WAPO article

Yes, I've heard of him. And it's too bad they allowed such a dorky fucking article be the country's introduction to a great young lifter.

Impressive as hell, especially BC he isn't large at all at 5'2" 136lbs , I wonder how much larger he's going to get

I made the mistake of reading the comments. bbl gonna go clean them out of my brain with a gun. See you guys.

"Toned arms"

Quote Originally Posted by MattJ.D. View Post
    Impressive as hell, especially BC he isn't large at all at 5'2" 136lbs , I wonder how much larger he's going to get
    Depends on what they've told him about his weight class. Very bad advice is given to young weight-class athletes every day.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffedsuperdud View Post
    I made the mistake of reading the comments.
    I forgot to do that. Oh, well.

Competitive Olympic weightlifting is as much, if not more, about proper form and technique as it is about brute strength.
    Obviously.

From his coaches to his family members, virtually everyone around C.J. seeks a balance between preserving his childhood and nurturing his enormous potential.
    Screw that. Who needs their childhood when they could have an Olympic medal?

After reading about one of Cummings’s lifts, Bob LeFavi, a sports medicine professor at Armstrong State University in Georgia who also coaches the Team Savannah weightlifting club, was convinced the publication had made a typographical error. No way had someone that young had done that.
    Really? A Sports Medicine Professor is surprised that genetic freaks exist? Shocking!

“It’s easy to think this guy is on drugs, but actually, the reality is he seldom goes for maximum lifts,” said Andrews, the USA Weightlifting official.
    Wait, how are these two things related?

Alright, I'm done now.

Quote Originally Posted by PEBCAK View Post
    Wait, how are these two things related?
    I read that with a similar reaction.
    People thing he's on drugs (assumedly because he's lifting so heavy)
    But the reality is he could totally lift heavier because he's not even hitting his maximum regularly.

Well thank fuck that was cleared up else people might still think he does drugs.

Strong kid. Puts my weights at 21 and 60 pounds heavier to shame. Hell, he probably puts the entirety of Australia to shame.

damn. him and i are almost (by an inch and a lb) the same height and weight, as well as the same age, and all ive got is a lousy 95lb power clean.

starting strength coach development program
    I'd hate to see him held back by technique perfectionists and bad programming. Good luck, kid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast