starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Osteopathologist advice on squats

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have never once had a productive exchange with a doctor when we had a difference of understanding about whether something was good or bad.

And because I collect my medical records from time to time, I've gotten to read their notes about those exchanges.
    Which is quite interesting, lemme tell ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Bcharles123 View Post
    Cell phones do cause cancer. But not all the time.
    I'm dying to hear about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I'm dying to hear about this.
    Well, for starts, many times, when I try to call my wife, she has her cell phone in a place she can't possibly hear it, like her pocketbook. Many times she forgets to charge it too. Then I explain an uncharged cell phone is like an unloaded gun, and so on... This unsolicited but valuable lecture, oddly enough, doesn't make the situation better. So this added stress of technology, which is supposed to make life better, is sufficiently damaging in a systemic way, taking away my resilience to cancer and will to live.

1. Osteopathic physicians are regular old physicians with manual medicine training.
    2. Some are more knowledgeable about biomechanics than others
    3. I am an Osteopathic Physician (Hospitalist) who trained other physicians on Osteopathic Principles and Practices for about a decade
    4. Yep, doesn't know what she's taking about. But then, you'd be shocked at how many physicians routinely talk out of their ass with no evidence to support their claims.

I have a lot of respect for freshly trained DOs. I have learned quite a bit about manual therapy from them over the years. They often have a much better approach to diagnosis and analysis than MDs. The problems start when they forget their manual training and shift their practice to mirror the SOP of MDs.

I recently tore my meniscus following a hyperextention injury. I went to consult an ortho, more specifically just to try to get an MRI and was told that I wasn't a surgical candidate so no MRI, and that I should consult with a PT where I will learn to do a safe and proper leg presses, leg curls, and body weight squats on a wobble board but I should forget about ever doing a squat, because "squats are horrible for the knees", yet I pressed her on why a leg press and wobble board was fine and dandy but a squat wasn't and all I was told was that it placed my medial meniscus in a compromised position and that I needed to strengthen my small muscles.

Modern medicine, as it relates to bone, joint, and muscle issues, seems to believe that we should all be treated like we're 65 year old ladies who hurt ourselves tending to a rose garden(and even they should be attempting to get under a bar) and there are very few bridges between medicine and sports science that's worth crossing. For better or worst, most of us are own our own as to how we ultimately end up dealing with aches and pains associated with not setting on our asses.

Quote Originally Posted by Bcharles123 View Post
    Well, for starts, many times, when I try to call my wife, she has her cell phone in a place she can't possibly hear it, like her pocketbook. Many times she forgets to charge it too. Then I explain an uncharged cell phone is like an unloaded gun, and so on... This unsolicited but valuable lecture, oddly enough, doesn't make the situation better. So this added stress of technology, which is supposed to make life better, is sufficiently damaging in a systemic way, taking away my resilience to cancer and will to live.
    Wait, are you my boyfriend? Because I do the same thing as your wife and it seems to affect my boyfriend similarly to you.

starting strength coach development program
    I had a bad back. I fixed with squats. You think because I'm lifting I'll feel it later? Wrong. If I didn't do squats I'd feel it now. Making your body stronger does not somehow make a single component weaker. It all goes one way or the other.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12