starting strength gym

Thread: Arm pain during squats.

Default Arm pain during squats.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Mark Ripptoe, Per your request:

Hi, first post after lurking on this site for some time. I'll try to give background to help clarify but also try and keep it as short as possible.

After doing high bar squats hitting 295 on linear progression SS program, I decided to try and properly do the program with low bar. About 2 weeks ago I did a large deload down to 185, and continued to 225, 255, 275, 295, and back on to LP for most recent 300 lbs. This was in effort to learn where the bar sits in the groove of the back; Except as I got closer to the 5rm, I started to feel an intense pain where I can only describe as where the shoulder deltoid and outer tricep meet ( right above my forearms). it started with my right and has migrated to both arms. It hurts enough that I can't finish intense squats or the rest of my workout. No pushing or pulling.

I am located in Germany so there is no coaching available. Because of this I am doing something I otherwise would never do, and that's sharing my shirtless back to help alleviate my problem.

One thing I'm aware of is, I have very limited mobility of my shoulders to create a shelf by bunching my back with a close grip. I saw someone else have this problem and the only way to keep wrist in line with forearm is to really widen the grip and allow thumbs extend over the bar. I have a feeling this extra wide grip is whats creating downward pressure on my arms???

If this has been covered before, many apologies.Please just direct me in the right direction.

Hopefully the links below work because I am doing all of this from my crappy euro cell phone. Many thanks.
    Two vids at 205.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUO1...e_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCLR...e_gdata_player

One vid 2 reps at 275 becasuse my arms hurt and it started slipping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iX_...e_gdata_player

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    I started to feel an intense pain where I can only describe as where the shoulder deltoid and outer tricep meet ( right above my forearms). it started with my right and has migrated to both arms. It hurts enough that I can't finish intense squats or the rest of my workout. No pushing or pulling.
    This is what's wrong with most of these injury posts. The deltoid and the tricep don't meet, and if they did, it wouldn't be right above the forearm. And none of the video links go to an existing video.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This is what's wrong with most of these injury posts. The deltoid and the tricep don't meet, and if they did, it wouldn't be right above the forearm. And none of the video links go to an existing video.
    So directly beneath the deltoid and above my forearms is where the pain subsides. After looking at a chart its more specifically the entire brachialis.

I copied and pasted working links for the videos. I'm not sure why they didn't work. I'll give it one more try and if they fail then I'm not entirely sure what's wrong.

Squat 205
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUO1...e_gdata_player
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCLR...e_gdata_player

Sorry to have wasted your time.

Your grip may be too wide, thus forcing your shoulder extension to do too much of the work maintaining the bar position. Nothing else is apparent in these now-functioning videos.

Don't post shirtless videos on the website. You will invite ridicule.

I'm not a coach, and I'm not particularly strong, but as a former arm-pain sufferer I thought I'd better pipe up. I had to stop low-bar squatting for a while because of the exact pain the OP describes. Now I'm LB squatting with zero pain. With me the fix was pushing my chest out. Thing is, if you're standing bolt-upright with the bar in the LB position AND your thorax in extension (chest pushed out), the bar wants to roll off - so the tendency is to NOT thrust your chest out to prevent this. This is very bad news for your arms. What permits you to have your thoracic spine in extension when your standing between reps is bending slightly at the hips - so your hips are pushed back and the joint is not fully extended. That way the bar doesn't want to roll down your back. All I know is that this technique has made my once very depressing arm pain 100% history.

starting strength coach development program
    Maybe you should pull your shorts up.