starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Squats at the OTC

Default Big Squats at the OTC

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Don't know if you will be okay posting the link, but guy at the OTC squatted 305kg. Not a bad squat....

http://instagram.com/p/rxUcVxEkbi/

This was also after a pr 300kg squat earlier in the week.

Excellent. A superheavyweight lifter squatting 672. Does that make him the strongest Olympic lifter in the country?

This is how we in Germany do it: triple bodyweight squat for a double at 5:37

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qySRWjqctok

Impressive strength but I kept waiting for his neck to snap.

David is a 105kg lifter. He recently had shoulder surgery and is coming back from that, so all he does is squat and some pulls. I know his coach, he does a good job with his lifters and has produced some of our top current American lifters. Although his coach and I disagree on a lot (especially LBBS vs HBBS) he emphasizes squat strength immensely. They pretty much always squat first in their workouts and push for PR's quite frequently. By no coincidence, most of our top male lifters were spawned out of this program (David Garcia, Donovan Ford, D'Angelo Osorio, Ian Wilson) and I think they have more youth & junior national champions, and residents and the Olympic Training Center than any other team.

I don't know of anyone else in the country pushing this sort of weight except for possible Pat Mendes or Caine Wilkes.

David will squat 700lb soon.

I believe he is a 105. I don't know if Pat has squatted more than 300 after his comeback. This lift is about 5kg less than Polovnikov and only 20kg less than Klokov. According to the internet, Ilya has never done more than 280. It might not be the best squat in the world among weightlifters, but it is within shooting range.

Adding to the feats of obscene strength (just because I have to): The video of Mike Tuchscherer squatting nine-hundred-and-twenty-five motherloving pounds in his garage, with no spotters - i.e. by himself - and in what I'm told is a single-ply suit and sub-par knee wraps. Maybe this isn't terribly shocking to most, but this just amazes and scares the shit out of me. It's from about five years ago, so god only knows what he's doing now, but that video is a friendly reminder that there are some unreasonably strong dudes in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom DiStasio View Post
    David is a 105kg lifter. He recently had shoulder surgery and is coming back from that, so all he does is squat and some pulls. I know his coach, he does a good job with his lifters and has produced some of our top current American lifters. Although his coach and I disagree on a lot (especially LBBS vs HBBS) he emphasizes squat strength immensely. They pretty much always squat first in their workouts and push for PR's quite frequently. By no coincidence, most of our top male lifters were spawned out of this program (David Garcia, Donovan Ford, D'Angelo Osorio, Ian Wilson) and I think they have more youth & junior national champions, and residents and the Olympic Training Center than any other team.

I don't know of anyone else in the country pushing this sort of weight except for possible Pat Mendes or Caine Wilkes.

Very good. Finally.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom DiStasio View Post
    They pretty much always squat first in their workouts and push for PR's quite frequently.
    I am glad I am not the only person who squats first.

I will be looking forward to it. We definitely need more people who can do this.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Very good. Finally.
    American lifters shifting to a strength emphasis is cool and refreshing and all (did anyone see USAW the other day advocating the deadlift, btw?) but hole-leee crap Mark Rippetoe and someone at USAW are seeing (somewhat) eye to eye? Holy mother of all that is good on this earth, now THAT I didn't see coming. This is a monumental moment for most of us who have paid at least a bit of attention to this forum over the past few years, including those dark days of Crass and North and 100+ page threads of folks bickering about straight line vs s-pull while watching Marcin Dołęga's snatches frame by frame.

Man, who knew that a few heavy squats were all it would take. Today is a good day. Hastag Squats4Peace

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast