starting strength gym
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: October Iron Fest Announcement

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    Unless you're like me and sometimes turn it into a standing bench press (without the bench).
    Well, then you would probably get red lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Well, then you would probably get red lights.
    I'm working on it. This just gives me more reason to do so.

Signed up for the Oakland meet. Excited to meet some of you!

Quick question about the rules on squat- the third step reads:

Code:
    3) The bar must not be more than 1 inch below the top of the anterior deltoids. The bar must be 
    held horizontally across the back with both hands gripping the bar shaft. This position, once 
    fixed, cannot change during the attempt.
    The illustrating picture shows a rear-view low-bar rack position on the posterior deltoids. Is this rule supposed to be regarding the anterior delts, or posterior, as the picture implies?

Although I admittedly have not seen this in real life, I could imagine that, in a large male with highly developed anterior deltoids, and a standing start position with the back quite vertical (as with someone with a long torso), that a stable low bar position may have the bottom of the bar resting more than an inch below the top of the anterior delts. Regardless, I understand that the spirit of the rule is to summarily outlaw squats where the bar is halfway down your back, and to dissuade taking an unstable or injurious rack position.

Typo. Should say POSTERIOR deltoids.

Quote Originally Posted by sirostac View Post
    Signed up! Who else is going to San Antonio?
    I might go just to spectate. I'll have to ask Steve Galvan if that's ok. My numbers are rather pathetic to be lifting at a competitive event right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal_k View Post

I hate the drive from Houston but it'll be worth it.
    Hell I'm driving in from North of Dallas....it's still closer than Amarillo!

Pulled the trigger. My first meet, too. See you in Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
    I might go just to spectate. I'll have to ask Steve Galvan if that's ok. My numbers are rather pathetic to be lifting at a competitive event right now.
    Go and lift. You will not regret it.

My numbers are rather pathetic to be lifting at a competitive event right now.
    Don't wait until you think your lifts aren't "pathetic" to start competing. For one, this is a rare opportunity to compete in a better event than you'll often have the chance to enter. Further, you'll have a much better time if you actually lift at the meet, you might surprise yourself with what you can actually do, and you will definitely gain valuable experience for the future. The potential for regret is far higher if you don't compete than if you do.

starting strength coach development program
    Just go lift and have some fun. I'm training around an injured Subscapularis Muscle and old knees. I hope to be able to squat again between now and the meet, so my squat is going to be quite a bit short of spectacular. I'll probably end up being the big old guy with a 135 squat. But, I can still go overhead without pain and my deadlift has not suffered. So I will have the bases covered as far as being the epitome of pathetic.

Showing up to lift will be the best form of support. So, as they say, just do it and have a good time.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast