starting strength gym

Thread: One Thing

Default One Thing

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Ok, I've had patella tendinosis for close on 7 years. I've been to see GPs, chiropractors, physios, sports docs, surgeons, pediatrists ect.

I've tried everything I can research on tendonosis. Eccentrics, tens, shockwave therapy, ultrasound, reverse sled drags, multiple blood and prp injections.

Its cost me easily over ten thousand dollars. At times It's been that bad I can't drive a car for more than 15 minutes at a time with the pain or get to sleep at night.

Deadlifts are fine but squats tend make it worse.

I'm sick of so called self proclaimed tendinosis experts dishing out dozens of little of Glute activation exercises to supposedly fix it when I can deadlift near 300kg and squat 200+ anyway but supposedly my glutes don't work.

Could you give me one thing to work on to try or one bit of advise to try and see what happens.

If not, any abuse is still funny.

Have you wrapped your knees when you squat?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Have you wrapped your knees when you squat?
    Yeah it dulled the pain slightly when I squatted making me push through the pain longer than I should have making my tendinosis worse.

The first thing we do is to make perfectly sure your squat technique is correct, and then look at the rest of your program for sources of aggravation. Running, power cleans, any ballistic stuff can cause this. When the problem is straightened out, we do the ibuprofen protocol, perhaps twice. This is the current procedure. Have you had any definitive diagnostic studies done on your knees, i.e. MRI/X-ray?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The first thing we do is to make perfectly sure your squat technique is correct, and then look at the rest of your program for sources of aggravation. Running, power cleans, any ballistic stuff can cause this. When the problem is straightened out, we do the ibuprofen protocol, perhaps twice. This is the current procedure. Have you had any definitive diagnostic studies done on your knees, i.e. MRI/X-ray?
    I've been on NSAIDs for 4 years straight for the pain, I've only recently been able to go a few days without painkillers. Jumping and running really aggravate it. I've had to drop power cleans and push presses totally.

I've had multiple x ray, MRI and ultrasounds done. They show a reasonable amount of degeneration of the tendons.

The current sports doc I am seeing thinks surgery is the next option but I don't really want to go down that path.

What does your surgeon plan on doing with his scalpel?

Well last time I saw a surgeon a couple years ago he said they basically fillet the tendon open, cut out the damaged part of the tendon and stitch it back up. But he also told me he didn't recommend surgery on it because it doesn't work very well and likely to make the tendon weaker.

starting strength coach development program
    Video of your squat.