starting strength gym
Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mainstream Media and Drinking: How did they agree on this particular lie???

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How this cryptic description of the end times in Revelation compare with the relatively straightforward account of creation in Genesis? Is that open to interpretation too?
    Its not cryptic, but requires patience and some effort, basically, it says Christ will return to this earth and set up a 1000 year rule on this present earth, but before this there will be 3 sets of 7 judgments culminating with the return of Christ. Yes there are different interpretations, but the basics are not in question.

I will give you an example, Ch 13 dealing with a one world ruler and the mark of the beast, yes sounds strange, but all it is saying is a one world leader will set up a economic system where to buy or sell folk will have to submit to being physically marked with either a tattoo or whatever to live. Look around you, can you see this is already in place?

In chapter 6 the 4 Horses are unveiled, white, red, black, pale (green), means conquest, war, famine, death will mark the beginning of the end. Look around, is it not already in place? See any flags with those 4 colors lately?

Chapter 17 and 18 talks about Babylon and its destruction, a city that controls world trade, commerce, called Babylon, know any place today with such a name? Its not far from you.

The Bible is not difficult to understand, however some sections require more study yes, but it is not Nuclear Physics 101, it is like any thing that is worth reading, it requires perseverance and discipline, I am still learning, when I look at your publications some of the terms especially the references to physiology require on my part a dictionary, but thats OK, that is what study is all about, effort.

You already have that ability, just go and get a KJV and have read sometime in your busy schedule, dare I say, talk to the author, what have you got to lose? Did you not say I need to think more clearly? You are correct, I do need to and my interaction with you has sharpened my mind considerably.

Pro 27:17 Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.

Iron has more uses than just lifting.

Wal, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you not only have to be Christian, but you have to be the right type of Christian. Do you keep the Sabbath or do you go to church on Sunday like all the false Christians? Do you observed secular, pagan holidays like Christmas or do you observe the real festivals as outlined in Leviticus 23? These are just some of the very many details only the true chosen ones know about and if you weren't called, you're just out of luck. Sorry.

I know all this because I was luckily raised in the proper religion. Unfortunately, I went out into "The World" and learned about a vast array of other things - things based on reality. I'm now doomed to miss the resurrection and will inevitably end up in the Lake of Fire because I had my chance and forsook it. (Forsook? Forsaked?)

Point I'm trying to make here is, we were talking about alcohol. Something far more real and important than accidentally being born in the wrong family or country and missing out on an invented eternal life with a bunch of squares.

If we had to discount every brilliant insight that came to a somebody in a dream, we'd be missing some important stuff. Einstein is reputed to have been inspired to invent special relativity based on a dream involving a electrocuting cows, and Descartes created the scientific method due to a dream involving a whirlwind, being chased by ghosts, and a craving for melons.

Quote Originally Posted by wal View Post
    I will give you an example, Ch 13 dealing with a one world ruler and the mark of the beast, yes sounds strange, but all it is saying is a one world leader will set up a economic system where to buy or sell folk will have to submit to being physically marked with either a tattoo or whatever to live.
    Can you supply the verse, so I can decide for myself?

In chapter 6 the 4 Horses are unveiled, white, red, black, pale (green), means conquest, war, famine, death will mark the beginning of the end. Look around, is it not already in place? See any flags with those 4 colors lately?
    See, here's a good example. Genesis says "7 days of creation." You say that this means seven 24-hour days. Revelation says 4 Horses. I say that Revelation means 4 very colorful horses. Which is fine. I was in the horse business for a while.

Chapter 17 and 18 talks about Babylon and its destruction, a city that controls world trade, commerce, called Babylon, know any place today with such a name? Its not far from you.
    Babylon is a ruin about 50 miles south of Bagdad. There is no existing city named "Babylon" today, unless you mean Babylon NY, Babylon Czechia, IL, or Babylon NZ, none of which control world trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Babylon is a ruin about 50 miles south of Bagdad. There is no existing city named "Babylon" today, unless you mean Babylon NY, Babylon Czechia, IL, or Babylon NZ, none of which control world trade.
    Wal is clearly referring to Dallas.

I realize Biblical scholars are not to be trusted, because they're sometimes thinking clearly about things, but this sort of summed up my very lay understanding of the Book of Revelation:

"Most people think John was writing at about the year 90 in the first century. That would be 60 years after the death of Jesus, and the eruption of Vesuvius happened in the year 79," she says. "Much of what we find in the Book of Revelation couched in the fantastic imagery are descriptions of events that for John were very close — the war in Jerusalem, the eruption of Mount Vesuvius, the Roman Emperors who were ruling at the time. ... It seems as though [John] reacted to that, saying, 'Jesus is coming and he is going to destroy all of this.' It was John's conviction that the destruction of Jerusalem was the beginning of the end of time that Jesus had predicted."
    -- Elaine Pagels, 'Revelations: Visions, Prophecy, And Politics In The Book Of Revelation'

Wal, what is the physical mark you believe we are marked with in order to buy and sell? I am genuinely curious

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    Galileo was not imprisoned for his heliocentric proposition (which he had no actual proof of at the time). He continued to make the claim without evidence anyway. It came to him in a dream, btw...not because of some great scientific insight.

Galileo was actually imprisoned for his theology which was at odds with Rome. That's bad on its own merit, but it's got nothing to do with science. At all.

But the guy who actually did prove the Heliocentric universe, Copernicus, was also a deeply religious man, and was even buried in a Cathedral.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    OK, I'm going to get skewered for the Galileo "dream" thing. I don't know where that came from...but I'm blaming Neil Tyson Degrasse's Cosmos...

Anyway, the point remains, he really didn't have proof to back up what he was saying, and he stepped way too deep into theology, which was what resulted in his house arrest.
    No, man, you're going to get skewered for being lazy. You should have, with the same device used to type those two posts, first googled Galileo and at least read the Wikipedia page. You would have read about Galileo's use of the telescope to discover moons of Jupiter and phases of Venus, read about his difficulties with the church, read a little about Copernicus and Kepler, and maybe clicked on the link to the page about heliocentrism. It would have cost you what, ten or fifteen minutes? Wouldn't it have been fun and useful to learn something, so the next time you discuss the subject you could talk intelligently instead of talking out of your ass? Ten or fifteen minutes, would've been well spent.

Quote Originally Posted by 51M0n View Post
    If we had to discount every brilliant insight that came to a somebody in a dream, we'd be missing some important stuff. Einstein is reputed to have been inspired to invent special relativity based on a dream involving a electrocuting cows, and Descartes created the scientific method due to a dream involving a whirlwind, being chased by ghosts, and a craving for melons.
    I'm not discounting sleep and dreams, because I think the mind is strengthened similar to the rest of the body by stress, recovery (including sleep), adaptation. Now, I see your "reputed"; however, if you believe Descartes and Einstein learned and worked in complete isolation and were inspired to create special relativity and invent the scientific method, respectively, solely as a result of a single dream for each, then well... I've lost the will to continue typing.

Well said Clay. Nope I am no sabbatarian , I am not Jewish. Yes I do go to a building on Sunday, I do not give a stuff about holidays as I have been on one long holiday for the last 2 years. Every day is same to me.

What is "proper religion"?

Look Clay, like I said I am nothing, my goods works in this world would never be enough to be accepted by God, my salvation is based on some else's sacrifice, I only escape God's Judgment because of what Christ did.

False Christians, yes there are many, don't forget it was religious folk who condemned Christ to death.

You will not miss out on the resurrection, there are two types, one resurrection to life the other a resurrection to death, called the second death.

You want talk about alcohol, fine, what would you like to know, I use to love the stuff, my dad could drink you under the table any day, Old Parr for breakfast, there is a good start.

starting strength coach development program
    There's your problem. Old Parr is blended whisky. People should not drink blended whisky.

Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast