The Mainstream Media and Drinking: How did they agree on this particular lie??? The Mainstream Media and Drinking: How did they agree on this particular lie??? - Page 13

starting strength gym
Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 255

Thread: The Mainstream Media and Drinking: How did they agree on this particular lie???

  1. #121
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    2,187

    Default

    • wichita falls texas march seminar date
    • woodmere new york april seminar date
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    OK, I'm going to get skewered for the Galileo "dream" thing. I don't know where that came from...but I'm blaming Neil Tyson Degrasse's Cosmos...

    Anyway, the point remains, he really didn't have proof to back up what he was saying, and he stepped way too deep into theology, which was what resulted in his house arrest.
    Sure blame the scientist.

    Learn astronomy and geology from the bible. Psalm 104:5 "the Lord set the earth on its foundations; it can never be moved."

    All the answers are there.

    Galileo was a hack, as was his predecessor Copernicus.

    Excuse me while I go burn a fatted calf, a pleasing scent unto the lord.

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    174

    Default

    I think there's definitely potential for this to be correlation and not causation. My first thought is that the type of person who would have a glass of wine with dinner, or a whiskey every evening, tend to be more affluent, and that people with money tend to be healthier. Obviously, money doesn't make you healthy. But it gives you better access to health care and medicine. And, the type of person that is driven to become financially successful is also more likely to take care of themselves, see a doctor on a regular basis, etc. There's nothing particularly scientific about any of that, but then again as far as I can see there's nothing particularly scientific about epidemiological studies, either.

    Having said that, there are apparently many such studies saying the same thing, as opposed to the handful of studies that condemned fat in the middle of last century. Rip, do you have any thoughts on what mechanism might cause this decreased mortality?

  3. #123
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Gateway to the Monashees
    Posts
    125

    Default

    The fact that blended whiskey exists demonstrates the non-existence of god.

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    40,023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse Hopkins View Post
    The fact that blended whiskey exists demonstrates the non-existence of god.
    Amen.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluntschli View Post
    Having said that, there are apparently many such studies saying the same thing, as opposed to the handful of studies that condemned fat in the middle of last century. Rip, do you have any thoughts on what mechanism might cause this decreased mortality?
    Are you looking for, "Being an uptight motherfucker."?

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RugbySmartarse View Post
    Wal, what is the physical mark you believe we are marked with in order to buy and sell? I am genuinely curious
    The word "mark" means to engrave, could mean a tattoo. "charagma" is the word in the Greek, meaning etching or scratch. The actual mechanism is not as important as the intent and that being once the mark has been taken there is no turning back. If the mark is refused the result is execution.

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    There's your problem. Old Parr is blended whisky. People should not drink blended whisky.
    Of course, but after a few bottles who gives a shit anyway. Can we get back to discussing a different kind of Spirit?

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    40,023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wal View Post
    Of course, but after a few bottles who gives a shit anyway. Can we get back to discussing a different kind of Spirit?
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...907#post962907

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Can you supply the verse, so I can decide for myself?
    Rev 13:16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:
    Rev 13:17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
    Rev 13:18 Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    See, here's a good example. Genesis says "7 days of creation." You say that this means seven 24-hour days. Revelation says 4 Horses. I say that Revelation means 4 very colorful horses. Which is fine. I was in the horse business for a while.
    Whether it means 7 X 24hrs or 7 years is not the point, the point is He created.

    Rev 6 is a descriptor of 4 conditions that will exist prior to Christ's return, False peace, conquest, war, famine, pestilence and death. Colors are not without significance.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Babylon is a ruin about 50 miles south of Bagdad. There is no existing city named "Babylon" today, unless you mean Babylon NY, Babylon Czechia, IL, or Babylon NZ, none of which control world trade.
    This is a can of worms. This is speculation on my behalf, but I just find it curious that the description of Babylon appears to indicate a city that presently exists.

    There are some commentators who say that "Babylon" must be reconstructed before these words can be fulfilled. Saddam Hussein tried but you folk went over there and removed him.

    Others say it is Rome, more specifically the Vatican because its colors are red and purple. Still others claim that Babylon is only a symbolic description of global conditions on the earth at the end of the age.

    My thoughts are controversial, I do not think that Babylon can be rebuilt in Iraq. Besides the description of this city is port city with ships bringing and trading commodities, the list is in Ch 18.

    This city has commerce, trade, banking, world government and sits on many waters.

    This city had millstones as part of its heritage and ability to grind grain and produce wealth, it has a flag on which there is a windmill and barrels of flour that indicate its industry.

    There is a city within this city called Babylon.

    Rev 18:21 And a mighty angel took up a stone like a great millstone, and cast it into the sea, saying, Thus with violence shall that great city Babylon be thrown down, and shall be found no more at all.

    Rev 18:22 And the voice of harpers, and musicians, and of pipers, and trumpeters, shall be heard no more at all in thee; and no craftsman, of whatsoever craft he be, shall be found any more in thee; and the sound of a millstone shall be heard no more at all in thee;

    Where are these millstones? Some are buried in the foot paths of this city. "Millstone" is a name synonymous with in this place.

    The original Babylon was known for its commercialism and world religion and was in control of the then known world, the name is not important but the concepts are. They exits today.

    However as I said this is all speculation on my part.

  9. #129
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Mark your a very patient man. Are we done?

    Shall we divert the discussion back to the health benefits of Chivas Regal, Black Douglass, Dimple?

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,309

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by paterfamilias View Post
    I realize Biblical scholars are not to be trusted, because they're sometimes thinking clearly about things, but this sort of summed up my very lay understanding of the Book of Revelation:
    I agree there are a lot of deceivers about, however there are still good and honest Bible scholars out there, not all of them agree on how to understand the Book Of Revelation, but basically it comes down to this, does Revelation deal with past events or future events. As for me I tend to lean towards the latter view, however what ever I say don't take my word for it, check it out.

    That quote that you have tendered appears to be describing Preterism, that being all the events described in Revelation occurred in the past, i.e. the destruction of Jerusalem under Titus about 70 AD, therefore the book of Revelation has no future reference.

    There are three other views however, Futurist, Idealist and Historicist.

    http://heraldofhope.org.au/index.php/publications/ (These folk are futurist)

    http://www.gotquestions.org/futurist-Revelation.html

    You have to look at Mark Rippetoe's training manuals, they are intricate in detail and explanation, but like any disciplines you care to undertake you need to apply due diligence, same for the study of the Bible. You think Mark Rippetoes training program is easy, hell no, it is damned hard and not for the faint hearted, well the same applies for study and application of this Bible, it is not for the faint of heart either, but it will lead you into a training program also, the prize being the gift of eternal life.

    Starting Strength = Physical Strength = Healthier life

    Bible = Spiritual Strength = Eternal Life

    If you have questions on Starting Strength you can ask the author who due to his generosity with his time will answer your inquiries. (Even some of the dumb ass ones) But he ain't going to do the lifting for you.

    You likewise can ask the God of the Bible who will help you understand what He has written, but He ain't going to do the reading for you.

    Both require perseverance, discipline and participation.

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •