starting strength gym
Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mainstream Media and Drinking: How did they agree on this particular lie???

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I like beer and spirits, but I cannot understand why wine is so popular

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    Interestingly, the Puritans were quite fond of alcoholic beverages. They stopped at Plymouth Rock because they ran out of beer and needed to brew some more, not because they liked the scenery. It comes a bit later in history when temperance became a religious cause.
    I'm sure people knew what I meant by "puritanical". I approve of your pedantry, though.

In the 1700's through mid 1800's, Americans drank like savages. Consumption was something like 70 gallons of beer or 15.5 gallons of distilled spirits annually per capita. I figure this includes those who didn't drink at all, and children, so those doing the boozing, were probably consuming more.

The temperance movement gained traction because this actually was causing a lot of social problems. We have a hard time with moderation in America. We don't even do moderation in moderation.
    There's a quite good book called "Drinking in America" that documents the ups and downs and cultural significant of alcohol in the US.
    Recommended to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by stronger View Post
    I didn't care so much for wine (I still don't seek out white wine) until I had it paired with the proper foods. There's nothing like a nice Cabernet/Syrah/Malbec style wine to complement the flavor of a nice fatty steak, or a strong cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by This Old Man View Post
    Amazingly enough, we've already talked about this.

I didn't care so much for wine (I still don't seek out white wine) until I had it paired with the proper foods. There's nothing like a nice Cabernet/Syrah/Malbec style wine to complement the flavor of a nice fatty steak, or a strong cheese.
    This reminds me of something my Grandfather Werner said about his dueling fraternity at the University of Gottingen before the Great War. "It's our job to teach you how to drink like a gentleman. So eat lots of fatty pork or beef or cheese to keep you from showing how much you have actually had to drink. Lest you act the fool." Then they'd go out and whale away on each others with schlagers.

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    The first bit is what stef mentioned, the fact that we retain a strong puritanical, prohibitionist streak.
    Prohibition was not a "puritanical" urge, tertius, but a "progressive" one.

Yes, tersh. Controlling other people's behavior has long been the purview of the left. Right now, for example, Michelle Obama is taking salt shakers out of school cafeterias across this great land, along with more than 2 slices of salami.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Yes, tersh. Controlling other people's behavior has long been the purview of the left. Right now, for example, Michelle Obama is taking salt shakers out of school cafeterias across this great land, along with more than 2 slices of salami.
    Yes, please do cram everything into a stupid left/right dichotomy that ignores enormous swathes of history, including shit unfolding in our own culture, right now.

That helps make discussions productive.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by stronger View Post
    Girls and gays have to drink something.

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast