starting strength gym
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mainstream Media and Drinking: How did they agree on this particular lie???

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    Yes, please do cram everything into a stupid left/right dichotomy that ignores enormous swathes of history, including shit unfolding in our own culture, right now.

That helps make discussions productive.
    Now, tersh. You know damn good and well that I don't operate left/right. But you'll have to admit that both eugenics and alcohol prohibition were creatures of the left. Just own up to it, forswear it, and move on with your modern leftist agenda. It won't be that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Prohibition was not a "puritanical" urge, tertius, but a "progressive" one.
    pu·ri·tan·i·cal
    ˌpyo͝oriˈtanikəl
    adjective derogatory
    practicing or affecting strict religious or moral behavior.
    synonyms: moralistic, puritan, pietistic, strait-laced, stuffy, prudish, prim, priggish

Beyond the mere dictionary definition, the roots of temperance and teetotaling are tied to religion.
    Yes, it became entangled with progressive politics, but the temperance movement was already taking shape around the time of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Now, tersh. You know damn good and well that I don't operate left/right. But you'll have to admit that both eugenics and alcohol prohibition were creatures of the left. Just own up to it, forswear it, and move on with your modern leftist agenda. It won't be that hard.
    Another prohibition would be amazing. Who doesn't want to be a bootlegging gangster. With all the Canadians (suppliers) on this forum we could set up quite the biz with no lack of muscle.

If you don't operate on Left/Right, why bring it up?

And eugenics and prohibitionism are not only creatures of the Left.
    They belong to authoritarian moralizers, bigots, and other shitheads, and they can be found all across the political spectrum, as history amply demonstrates.
    To pretend otherwise and say "this is a phenomenon of Side A" is foolish.

Just like the idea that the Right doesn't have a very long history of attempting to control people's behavior, including in the here and now, is just farcical.
    Totally absurd.

If you don't operate on Left/Right, why bring it up?
    You brought it up:

Yes, please do cram everything into a stupid left/right dichotomy that ignores enormous swathes of history, including shit unfolding in our own culture, right now.

That helps make discussions productive.
    And eugenics and prohibitionism are not only creatures of the Left.
    They belong to authoritarian moralizers, bigots, and other shitheads, and they can be found all across the political spectrum, as history amply demonstrates.
    To pretend otherwise and say "this is a phenomenon of Side A" is foolish.
    Right. But in the 20s and 30s in this country it was the American left.

Just like the idea that the Right doesn't have a very long history of attempting to control people's behavior, including in the here and now, is just farcical.
    Totally absurd.
    This is why I am not a rightist conservative. But you are, in fact, a leftist.

Yes, tersh. Controlling other people's behavior has long been the purview of the left. Right now, for example, Michelle Obama is taking salt shakers out of school cafeterias across this great land, along with more than 2 slices of salami.
    She is also taking out "excessive" levels of turkey, apparently:

"Zipay told the news site lunch cooks have had the same problem, and can’t even serve a turkey sandwich to students because there’s too much sodium. There is now a two-slice limit on salami" -

http://eagnews.org/school-employee-o...ool-i-checked/

This will further contribute to the protein deficiency issues most of these kids probably have.

You brought it up:
    Pardon?

Yes, tersh. Controlling other people's behavior has long been the purview of the left. Right now, for example, Michelle Obama is taking salt shakers out of school cafeterias across this great land, along with more than 2 slices of salami.
    This is what prompted my post about stupid dichotomy cramming. Which I had no reason to bring up until you made a comment about the left and threw in a "Thanks Obama" as gravy.
    Technically stef may have beat you to it, but she seems more concerned with "progressive" vs. "puritanical", though they are hardly mutually exclusive categories.

Right. But in the 20s and 30s in this country it was the American left.
    And? In Europe in the 30s it was in the fascist right.
    How is this relevant to anything other than scoring points about which side is shittier?

This is why I am not a rightist conservative. But you are, in fact, a leftist.
    No, you're a weird guy, Rip.
    And while I am more or less a Leftist (for lack of a better term), I don't exactly fit tidily into the American left.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt275 View Post
    Another prohibition would be amazing. Who doesn't want to be a bootlegging gangster. With all the Canadians (suppliers) on this forum we could set up quite the biz with no lack of muscle.
    Bah, screw importing. Just make the stuff yourself. Ain't hard.

I could build a stovetop still for maybe $50 of stuff from the hardware store.
    Less, if I didn't want to be fancy about it.

Not that I would ever condone such activity unless it were properly licensed, or for the production of essential oils, distilled water, or fuel alcohol.

Beyond the mere dictionary definition, the roots of temperance and teetotaling are tied to religion.
    Not to rehash an older discussion but refer to item #3 of post #12 of this topic ( I am not computer savvy enough to handle multiple quotes in a response). Jesus went to parties. Jesus was cool enough to be invited to parties. Jesus drank alcohol. When the party ran out of drink, he got more and better stuff. So teetotaling is not a basic tenet for Christians. There is something to be said for that old time religion.

If teetotaling has a religious base it is a feature of that group, not a universal mandate for Christians. Thank you Jesus.

Figuring out how one should behave from all the various "studies" is impossible - we can find a "study" to support almost anything we want to do - going either direction. Eat nothing but meat - eat no meat and nothing but veggies - drink - don't drink - run or lift weights. It seems most things done in moderation aren't too bad for us. The one given is that death will come for us all sooner or later - I plan to enjoy myself (in moderation) until then.

starting strength coach development program
    For what it's worth, I think the conservative branch of the American church has made a mistake in aligning teetotaling with devoutness. It's extra-Biblical, to start. Given the number of regular attenders who have a case in the fridge out in the garage, I suspect the church's position will quietly change over the next generation or two.

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast