starting strength gym

Thread: Lifting Pre-Tanner Stage IV: When to Add Weight to the Bar?

Default Lifting Pre-Tanner Stage IV: When to Add Weight to the Bar?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Can you recommend any resources or make some comments about programming for children who haven't reached Tanner Stage IV? (For those who haven't read it: SSBT3 states that a linear progression should not be undertaken until this stage of development.) It also says that children can start lifting for enjoyment at age six (or was it seven?). I'm wondering what should happen in the interim.

In my particular case I have a seven year old boy who likes to deadlift when I'm lifting at home. I let him do it once a week and go as heavy as he can lift (and put down) with a perfectly flat back. He only likes to do singles, so I have him warm up w/ five singles and work up to singles at his "work weight". I watch his heaviest single and when it looks "easy enough" for three singles I let him add two pounds.

I think I'm being very conservative, but I'm just using my (relatively inexperienced) intuition. If this question has been addressed somewhere in the literature or forums I've missed it. Thanks for your time.

There is no rule about this. You're approaching it correctly.

Here's what my nine year old is doing twice per week, all three sets.
    Squats 8-10 reps 20lbs
    Deadlifts 8 reps 20 lbs
    Walking lunges, 10 reps per leg, bodyweight
    Pushups 15 reps
    Inverted row 15 reps (his body is about 30 degrees off floor when fully extended)

I make sure form is top priority and continually ask if he feels pain anywhere. Currently I can add 5lbs to the bar as a minimum.
    Any constructive feedback is encouraged.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony King View Post
    (For those who haven't read it: SSBT3 states that a linear progression should not be undertaken until this stage of development.) It also says that children can start lifting for enjoyment at age six (or was it seven?).
    I cannot find this reference to Tanner stages in SSBBT3. Do you have a page number?

It's in PPST3, p.223.

Thank you, that clears things up.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse Hopkins View Post
    Here's what my nine year old is doing twice per week, all three sets.
    Squats 8-10 reps 20lbs
    Deadlifts 8 reps 20 lbs
    Walking lunges, 10 reps per leg, bodyweight
    Pushups 15 reps
    Inverted row 15 reps (his body is about 30 degrees off floor when fully extended)

I make sure form is top priority and continually ask if he feels pain anywhere. Currently I can add 5lbs to the bar as a minimum.
    Any constructive feedback is encouraged.
    We essentially followed the SS model when my youngest was that age, keeping loading very conservative. After the first couple of weeks I think we added #2.5/workout for squats and deads, less than that for pressing movements. In 3 months time, he was able to deadlift double bodyweight and squat 1.5X bodyweight. He didn't enjoy cleans ... so we didn't "force" them (on an 8 year old?!). He did chins instead, working up eventually to sets of about 15-20 dead hang.

He's more physically talented than me or his brother, but 7 years later I now think that his pre-pubescent SS work helped lay down neurological pathways which are still bearing fruit. His consistency in the gym has been very sporadic for a couple of years, as he's focused on martial arts. But last Spring he defeated all comers to win his school's arm wrestling tournament, while weighing in at a ponderous #135 (on a good day).

He's now at a stage to actually put on some strength and size - just turning 16. We'll see what he chooses this Winter.