starting strength gym
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Kettlebell & Barbells...

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by jauslong View Post
    Couldn't a very heavy kettlebell or two be useful, say, when someone has to travel for work and can't fit a barbell in their car? Not as progressive training, but just to get a workout in. Or would it be preferable to just miss a workout or two?
    Sure, but it's like doing a bunch of pushups instead of bench. It's better than nothing, but don't it shouldn't be your normal plan.

Actually, I'd probably just do the pushups.

Quote Originally Posted by APT79 View Post
    Maybe not use KBs for the wife then...just get back to the gym...strength the core and lower back. Most likely her back issues is at work since she sits behind a computer all day. I checked the ergos and it is pretty bad.

Thanks Mark for setting me straight. Must be the bourbon I had two nights ago. LOL!

-Anthony
    As a woman with similar issues, I can tell you that swinging KBs is NOT what she needs to be doing to strengthen core and lower back. She is much more linely to make her back issues worse doing that. Squat, press and deadlift are the three lifts that, for me, have most improved my core and low back strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    Sure, but it's like doing a bunch of pushups instead of bench. It's better than nothing, but don't it shouldn't be your normal plan.

Actually, I'd probably just do the pushups.
    That's a fair point.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I can't stand it either. It pisses me off. Dan has eaten at my table, and I consider him a friend.
    You never explicitly said that he was wrong, but it does seem implied. I have read two of Dan John's books, and in both he pushes kettlebells (barbells, too) as being an excellent choice in a strength program. So, when he insists that they are an excellent tool for developing strength, and you say that they are a poor tool for developing strength, you must either be calling him wrong, or there is a misunderstanding that I am not seeing.

I can't disagree with a friend? And I apparently owe you an explanation? Impudent fools such as you make the days very long.

Of COURSE people who disagree cannot be friends.

Rip, I think you are wrong that we should not demonstrate the unweighted squat while teaching someone a low-bar back squat. I've found it a useful teaching tool.

Alright, now you know why I never sent you a Christmas card.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I can't disagree with a friend? And I apparently owe you an explanation? Impudent fools such as you make the days very long.
    This is all very confusing. You said "...tell me where I said Dan John was wrong." I pointed out that is seems like you are implying that he is wrong. So your response is to admit that you are saying he is wrong, but be angry that I answered your question (politely, I thought). So I guess I am supposed to model my response after you?

Quickly, if you want to stay, tell me where I said that you can't disagree with a friend.

I really did enjoy your books that I purchased, and appreciate the things you are trying to do broadly, but the anger and childish name calling here is just getting weird. Given that you are calling me "imprudent", all I can imagine is that you are planning to kick me off anyway (imprudence being the lack of foresight in predicting the future consequences of actions, and I'm not sure what other consequence could possibly come from this.).

I have a 35 pound kettlebell. I hook the dog to it on a long lead while I use my barbell. He's a 20 pound Jack Russell with a bum hip and can still pull it across the driveway. The best use ever for my kettlebell.

Mark, a wise man I have talked to says, "I prefer clarity over agreement."

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
    That's quite the response when you asked to be told where you disagreed with Dan John in the first place.
    Yes, it is. I asked where I had said that Dan John was wrong, and the response I get is that Dan Likes kettlebells and I don't. And you think it's the same thing as A Disagreement, and this other asshole thinks I owe him an explanation.

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast