starting strength gym
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Kettlebell & Barbells...

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I can't disagree with a friend?
    Of course not. That would make life interesting, and we can't be having that.

Fact: Kettlebells are great training tools and anyone that cant comprehend this is obtuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Yes, it is. I asked where I had said that Dan John was wrong, and the response I get is that Dan Likes kettlebells and I don't. And you think it's the same thing as A Disagreement
    I think some of the confusion comes from equating a disagreement with saying someone's wrong, which is admittedly close. Maybe I can clarify.

I disagree with Rip about some things when it comes to training. Less things, since I went to the seminar, but there are still a few. However, given that he has a lot more experience, both lifting and coaching, I know the odds are against me. He's probably right, but I don't agree with him. If I had the correct knowledge, I probably would agree, but as it stands I don't. Who knows? Maybe he is wrong about something, and I'm right. But all I'm saying is that we disagree.

Similarly, Rip disagrees with Bill Starr about some things. The incline press comes to mind, but I'm not going to look it up to be sure. I don't think anybody doubts that Rip still respects Starr, he just doesn't agree with him on certain aspects.

Quote Originally Posted by JNussbaum View Post
    This is all very confusing. You said "...tell me where I said Dan John was wrong." I pointed out that is seems like you are implying that he is wrong. So your response is to admit that you are saying he is wrong
    Are you really that thick you can't tell the difference between someone making a specific statement about someone else ("he is wrong!") vs articulating a viewpoint (not directed at this other person) that happens to disagree in some way from one this other person has expressed?

Quote Originally Posted by JNussbaum View Post
    Given that you are calling me "imprudent", all I can imagine is that you are planning to kick me off anyway (imprudence being the lack of foresight in predicting the future consequences of actions, and I'm not sure what other consequence could possibly come from this.).
    You actually quoted his post in yours but still couldn't read the word he used? "Impudent" != "Imprudent" Although in your case perhaps both would apply.

I think I understand how this works now: pick heavy barbell up, put heavy barbell over head, do heavier barbell next time = strength training.

Pick two heavy kettlebells up, put heavy kettlebells over head, repeat several times until able to do two heavier kettlebells = jerking off

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Been View Post
    I think I understand how this works now: pick heavy barbell up, put heavy barbell over head, do heavier barbell next time = strength training.

Pick two heavy kettlebells up, put heavy kettlebells over head, repeat several times until able to do two heavier kettlebells = jerking off
    No,
    Barbell = optimal tool for strength training.
    Kettle Bell = not optimal tool for strength training.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Been View Post

You've said this. Nobody else has.

Debates are always easier when you get to make up your opponent's arguments as well as your own. You gotta be subtle about it, though. You're no Socrates.

Christ, this is painful to read.

Both Rip and Dan John have written extensively on their views regarding strength training, and have given explanation as to why they have come to the conclusions they have. Read both, and see which explanations you find you agree with, or come up with your own. But insinuating that as Rip doesn't have the same love for Kettlebells as DJ, he must consider him wrong, is disrespectful to both parties and just shows your ignorance on the topic.

And as somebody previously stated, I'm sure Rip and Dan agree on more things than they disagree on, but people always choose to nitpick at the little things. If you watch the video series of interviews with Dan, you can hear him talk about using the kettlebell for different populations and Rip doesn't disagree with him. The question is whether the kettlebell is optimal for strength training, Rip doesn't think it is, I don't think Dan does either but he considers it a pretty useful tool, which is fine.

starting strength coach development program
    Dan and Mark have too much class and mutual respect to publicly criticize each other's methods, which, despite some similarities, are ultimately incompatible. So we should not force them into a position where they need to do that.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast