starting strength gym
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Kettlebell & Barbells...

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by dpg View Post
    The ability of an exercise to improve strength is not dependent only on the weight of the implement but also on the amount of force required to move it through a given range of motion. Just as more force can be produced during a lighter but faster power clean than a slower and heavier dead lift, so too more force can be produced with a lighter KB (approx. 30% of user's body weight according to force plate studies) than with a heavier KB. A KB swing is also an example of a weighted exercise in which the implement does not travel in a straight line.
    Physics. I recommend you learn some.

[QUOTE=Mark Rippetoe;967856

haha lol. Obviously.[/QUOTE]

HA!

Andy Bolton is speaking about doing more 'cardio' this morning. Maybe he's having a midlife crisis?

We're being trolled on multiple fronts.

Broken Arrow.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bono View Post
    That also makes them useful if you are dealing with pussies who get a case of the vapors if they are in the same general vicinity as a barbell, especially one sitting on the ground. A pink neoprene covered 20kg kettlebell weighs just the same as an empty barbell, but it gives off a nice, flowery Summer's Eve "I'm a gentle kettlebell" vibe. A barbell, on the other hand, is dusty, dirty, Man-BO covered thing and is just so "ick" compared to the nice pink fluffy KB.

BTW, I am not sure if I am joking when it comes to that second paragraph.
    The real KBs are rusty and dirty, unlike those shiny BBs loaded with nicely colored bumper plates. We are sorry fitness industry made KBs look like baby toys :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by osv2
    Front squat and press with one or two KBs is another option. An advantage over BB (and even DBs) is that KBs are more shoulders-friendly.
    Which PT told you this?
    I don't talk to PTs. My own shoulders and my own reasoning suggest that KB/DB presses are to the BB press roughly what BB press is to pressing in Smith. And then (correctly performed) KB press feels better than DB press. So from shoulder/elbow friendliness POV I put them in the following order: KB, DB, BB, Smith.

The above advantage may have little relevance when you do 3 sets of 5, where the advantage of greater loads one uses with BBs wins, but it makes a lot of sense when much higher rep counts are involved, read: conditioning, and it was conditioning the OP asked about.

Never understand why people quote examples from the strongest freaks in the world and try to apply it to average desk jockey struggling to reach a 300lb deadlift.

I used some yesterday for warmups. Swinging them on the sidewalk trying not to hit passing pedestrians. Then deadlifting the bigger ones as a warmup. They seem a little easier to warm up with for when the warm-up weight for a deadlift is less than 135. While on the sidewalk a little girl maybe 5 or 6 came by to try picking them all up. She deadlifted them naturally with perfect form, all of them, even the biggest one. She proudly declared that she practices with milk jugs.

"ballistically" is what happens when you screw up a swing.

Quote Originally Posted by madmaxaus View Post
    Think of the movement that is going to require the most amount of energy to perform for a human. Lie on the ground on your stomach, and stand up. Do this quickly, repeat as necessary.

Burpees, sprawls etc. Are great because you don't need to do very many to be utterly exhausted, so you're unlikely to interfere with strength training, and you don't need any equipment.

The downside is, they suck.
    Think again about Rip's comment re: eccentrics.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Kettlebell competitions are conducted by counting reps in a time period, like 5 minutes. THINK.
    In classic KB sport, yes, in 10 minutes. There are all kinds of competitions both with BBs and KBs though.

E.g., pressing the 80kg KB for reps in 1 minute. You can check Koklyaev trying it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhAZIPl-k6I

I don't think anybody here really argues that BBs are the most versatile tool for strength training, but saying that training with KBs is not strength training... well, an overkill. For example, one of the most well-known KBs pressing programs (that does work) is based exclusively on sets of 1 to 5 reps.

OTOH, there are, for example, BB competitions in russian press. One discipline is counting reps in 5 minutes (the heaviest "category" to compete is 150kg loaded on BB, no self-weight divisions). Another discipline is 3 attempts by 13 presses each, to get maximum tonnage overall (you choose load for each attempt, has self-weight divisions). How could this diminish BBs usefulness for strength training, I dunno.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast