starting strength gym
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Kettlebell & Barbells...

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Maybe not use KBs for the wife then...just get back to the gym...strength the core and lower back. Most likely her back issues is at work since she sits behind a computer all day. I checked the ergos and it is pretty bad.

Thanks Mark for setting me straight. Must be the bourbon I had two nights ago. LOL!

-Anthony

Something else kettlebells aren't much good for:

Arrest made in deadly bar-bell beating at South San Francisco gym

A South San Francisco man was arrested Thursday morning after he allegedly beat another man to death at a gym where they were both members, according to police.

Witnesses told officers that a gym member, later identified as South San Francisco resident Kenneth Osako, 46, had attacked another gym member with a solid steel bar normally used to lift weights.

Osako, a plumber, allegedly struck the man in the head several times, the dropped the steel bar and left the scene, police said.
    Pretty snappy work with a 45 lb bar, if that's what he used. Lots of force in motion, or motion in force, or whatever. Sort of like a kettlebell, but different. I wonder how he handled his muscle imbalances? Maybe dpg knows.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I used some yesterday for warmups. Swinging them on the sidewalk trying not to hit passing pedestrians. Then deadlifting the bigger ones as a warmup. They seem a little easier to warm up with for when the warm-up weight for a deadlift is less than 135.
    You should consider getting access to the proper equipment for training the deadlift.

Quote Originally Posted by osv2 View Post
    I don't think anybody here really argues that BBs are the most versatile tool for strength training, but saying that training with KBs is not strength training... well, an overkill. For example, one of the most well-known KBs pressing programs (that does work) is based exclusively on sets of 1 to 5 reps.

OTOH, there are, for example, BB competitions in russian press. One discipline is counting reps in 5 minutes (the heaviest "category" to compete is 150kg loaded on BB, no self-weight divisions). Another discipline is 3 attempts by 13 presses each, to get maximum tonnage overall (you choose load for each attempt, has self-weight divisions). How could this diminish BBs usefulness for strength training, I dunno.
    It appears that things are different in Russia. Who would have guessed that?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Miller View Post
    Careful Mark. An analysis of kettlebell vs. barbell snatches was literally the beginning of The Couch Thread. You better kill this thing now before it's 1400 pages.
    That's what E&P is for. The whole panoply of human intellectual and emotional inadequacy, condensed for your convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    That's what E&P is for. The whole panoply of human intellectual and emotional inadequacy, condensed for your convenience.
    This is really good.

Koklaev developed much of his freakish strength using kettlebells as demonstrated here:

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I used some yesterday for warmups. Swinging them on the sidewalk trying not to hit passing pedestrians. Then deadlifting the bigger ones as a warmup. They seem a little easier to warm up with for when the warm-up weight for a deadlift is less than 135. While on the sidewalk a little girl maybe 5 or 6 came by to try picking them all up. She deadlifted them naturally with perfect form, all of them, even the biggest one. She proudly declared that she practices with milk jugs.
    I gave the swing throughs a try last night with a 24k bell. My glutes feel like there are knives shoved in them today. Definitely need to work up to these.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    That's my training journal!

Never underestimate the power of the Kettlebell comrades.

I will say this for Kettlebells. A one-month Groupon at a local KB gym (where the trainers did their own training often with, um, barbells) exposed me to a Dan John quote on their wall - "Strong Fixes Everything". I looked up Dan John, found a YouTube of him talking to this crotchety older guy with a bad east Texas accent, from Wichita Falls. The bizarre coincidence here is that where I would normally be annoyed by an E. TX accent (grew up there) and click away, the fact that I was born in Wichita Falls actually persuaded me to listen a bit longer. Nine months of linear progression later, my squat had tripled in strength, and other lifts did nearly as well. Thanks, Kettlebells! (I mean, Rip)

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Corrie View Post
    I gave the swing throughs a try last night with a 24k bell. My glutes feel like there are knives shoved in them today. Definitely need to work up to these.
    You seem to be a smart guy, normally. Why would you use soreness as an indicator of exercise effectiveness, instead of exercise eccentricity that has not been adapted to?

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast