starting strength gym
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Kettlebell & Barbells...

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by depictureboy View Post
    Congrats. I found that the swings really helped me with my lower back. I used to suffer from spasms quite frequently but after 2 years of swings I'm happy to report none. I would have never had the confidence in my back to start training barbell if it weren't for the swings. 63# is nice. Most people (including me) start off too light.
    Thanks, I just need to get my wife to do swings to help with her back muscle inbalances as well. Now I need to convince her to train with me.

-Anthony

This thread has brought out the worst in some of the new posters.

Quote Originally Posted by mrflibble View Post

So if you won't even get a 2x bodyweight deadlift, what will you get from your 48kg standards? 1.5x? 1x?
    You'll get the 48kg standards. 100 one handed swings (alternating hands every 10 reps) in 5 minutes and 10 get-ups (alternating sides each rep) in 10 minutes with a minute of rest in between.

Quote Originally Posted by mrflibble View Post

Even a 2x bodyweight deadlift isn't really anywhere close to "pretty damn strong" (unless maybe you weigh about 250kg), let alone anything below that.

I'd suggest it's no surprise you have such a low standard for strength given your preference for random dice rolling exercise over training.
    I don't dice roll for all of my training, just at the end for a finisher. Everything else is structured and fits perfectly into a very nice Excel spreadsheet. The dice rolls help tickle the part of my brain that likes variety.

I used to screw around with kettlebells.
    One of Pavel's challenges was to do 100 snatches with the 53lb kettlebell in 5 minutes. I trained for a few months and got close (in the 90's), but never hit it. For what it's worth, my cardio seemed to improve.

Then I started SS.
    A few months later after ZERO kettlebell work I tried the kb challenge (100 snatches w/ a 53lb kettlebell in 5 minutes) again.
    I accomplished it easily. I suspect this is because my deadlift went from non-existent to 480 and my overhead press from 105 to 180.

To anyone who wants to do kettlebells, I would suggest getting a bit of strength from barbells first.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Well, okay. If 4 of the strongest guys in the world do the same thing, I must be wrong about my physical analysis.
    No, but doesn't it make you even consider the possibility that there is something about it that you are missing? There are plenty of very good lifters and trainers that like high rep assistance lifts, so it seems like there must be a reason.

Also, are you really suggesting that swinging a 200lb bell is not a strength exercise? have you ever tried?

Muscle Imbalance.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    The accidental irony here is...beautiful.

If you could magically summon data on '80's heavyweight boxers, in which category do you think Tyson deviated most from mean of top pros: a) conditioning or b) absolute force production & rate of force development?

Clearly it was all technique.

Seriously though, never try to explain this to any of the fighter bros in the gym. They think they're gonna get all "musclebound" and slow.

Quote Originally Posted by osv2 View Post
    Yes.

Front squat and press with one or two KBs is another option. An advantage over BB (and even DBs) is that KBs are more shoulders-friendly.
    Which PT told you this?

Did someone say kettlebell? Kill me now.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Fajita_McJones View Post
    I roll two dice and whatever they add up to, that is my finisher.
    Sounds like a great way to keep from being bored while you exercise. Not sure how random additions to the workout would help you with your training, but hey, at least you're not bored.

Quote Originally Posted by madmaxaus View Post
    Burpees, sprawls etc. Are great because you don't need to do very many to be utterly exhausted
    Is there something inherently worthwhile about being exhausted?

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    If you could magically summon data on '80's heavyweight boxers, in which category do you think Tyson deviated most from mean of top pros: a) conditioning or b) absolute force production & rate of force development?
    c) number of ears bitten

Quote Originally Posted by APT79 View Post
    Thanks, I just need to get my wife to do swings to help with her back muscle inbalances as well.
    What muscle imbalances will kettlebells fix that barbells wouldn't also fix? By what mechanism are kettlebells supposed to be better?

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast