starting strength gym
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Kettlebell & Barbells...

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    The ability of an exercise to improve strength is not dependent only on the weight of the implement but also on the amount of force required to move it through a given range of motion. Just as more force can be produced during a lighter but faster power clean than a slower and heavier dead lift, so too more force can be produced with a lighter KB (approx. 30% of user's body weight according to force plate studies) than with a heavier KB. A KB swing is also an example of a weighted exercise in which the implement does not travel in a straight line.

Haha Andy Bolton literally this second just posted on his Facebook that he just done 10 sets of 10 KB swings with 48Kg KB haha

Personally I've never even picked a KB up. They must have some worth though considering the athletes that recommend them.

Obviously Andy Bolton using an exercise is a lot different than Johnny the novice/intermediate using an exercise lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This thread has brought out the worst in some of the new posters.
    Sorry...but I did get some good pointers.
    -Anthony

Coach,

First off: I get your analysis. And second: I've never done them, nor am I planning to incorporate them into my training. But my question is: is there a reason they can't be used by intermediates/advanced trainees for hyperthrophy?

Kettlebells are perfect for fucking around. You go to the gym, and after you do The Stuff You Are Supposed To Do, if you've got a bit more in the tank, it is fun to grab a kettle bell and do some swings, or snatches, or other kettlebell shit. Kettlebells require you to set your back and do all the same sort of stuff you do when deadlifting, squatting, pressing, etc, so there is some carryover.

That also makes them useful if you are dealing with pussies who get a case of the vapors if they are in the same general vicinity as a barbell, especially one sitting on the ground. A pink neoprene covered 20kg kettlebell weighs just the same as an empty barbell, but it gives off a nice, flowery Summer's Eve "I'm a gentle kettlebell" vibe. A barbell, on the other hand, is dusty, dirty, Man-BO covered thing and is just so "ick" compared to the nice pink fluffy KB.

BTW, I am not sure if I am joking when it comes to that second paragraph.

WTF is happening here? I'm offline for a few days, and this is what's waiting for me when I come back?

I just picked up some free KB's. So far I've moved them out of the way.

Really, I think with snatches, dead lifts and Squats on the schedule I won't have much use for them.

Quote Originally Posted by APT79 View Post
    Thanks, I just need to get my wife to do swings to help with her back muscle inbalances as well. Now I need to convince her to train with me.
    Muscle imbalances.

Quote Originally Posted by Fajita_McJones View Post
    The dice rolls help tickle the part of my brain that likes variety.
    The same part of your brain that fails to understand the concept of training.

Quote Originally Posted by JNussbaum View Post
    No, but doesn't it make you even consider the possibility that there is something about it that you are missing?
    My analysis is that since strength is force production, greater strength means greater force production, and therefore a strength increase requires increasingly heavy weights. In order to lift heavy weights, the reps must be kept "low", meaning 5s or lower, since high reps require light weights. So, strength training 1.) must involve heavy weights and low reps, and 2.) strength training does not involve light weights and higher reps.

In contrast, this:

There are plenty of very good lifters and trainers that like high rep assistance lifts, so it seems like there must be a reason.
    is your analysis. Allow me to point out that plenty of very good lifters don't like high-rep assistance lifts.

Also, are you really suggesting that swinging a 200lb bell is not a strength exercise? have you ever tried?
    Depends on how many reps you can do with it. A guy who can swing a 200 for 20 reps 1.) derives no strength stimulus from doing so, and 2.) didn't get strong enough to swing it 20 reps by swinging a kettlebell.

Kettlebell competitions are conducted by counting reps in a time period, like 5 minutes. THINK.

Quote Originally Posted by silachoo View Post
    Muscle Imbalance.
    Yeah. Muscle imbalance.

Quote Originally Posted by dpg View Post
    The ability of an exercise to improve strength is not dependent only on the weight of the implement but also on the amount of force required to move it through a given range of motion. Just as more force can be produced during a lighter but faster power clean than a slower and heavier dead lift, so too more force can be produced with a lighter KB (approx. 30% of user's body weight according to force plate studies) than with a heavier KB.
    You don't know what you're talking about. Go away.

A KB swing is also an example of a weighted exercise in which the implement does not travel in a straight line.
    Fascinating. Go away.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyNUFC View Post
    Haha Andy Bolton literally this second just posted on his Facebook that he just done 10 sets of 10 KB swings with 48Kg KB haha

Personally I've never even picked a KB up. They must have some worth though considering the athletes that recommend them.

Obviously Andy Bolton using an exercise is a lot different than Johnny the novice/intermediate using an exercise lol
    haha lol. Obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Martijn Raaijmakers View Post
    But my question is: is there a reason they can't be used by intermediates/advanced trainees for hyperthrophy?
    How? Have you ever seen a huge kettlebell guy? That got that way from doing light weights ballistically for 5 minutes?

Quote Originally Posted by Simma Park View Post
    WTF is happening here? I'm offline for a few days, and this is what's waiting for me when I come back?
    I'm sorry, Simma. It won't happen again.

You all just got Rippetoe'd

starting strength coach development program
    Careful Mark. An analysis of kettlebell vs. barbell snatches was literally the beginning of The Couch Thread. You better kill this thing now before it's 1400 pages.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast