starting strength gym
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Kettlebell & Barbells...

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am all for friendly disagreements, and I agree with Mark on most things. The thing I don't get around here is that when someone like Dan John says something, it is just a friendly disagreement, but when people post in the forum making very similar arguments we get things like this...

"It wasn't disrespectful at all. It was just wrong."
    "The same part of your brain that fails to understand the concept of training."
    "THINK"
    "You don't know what you're talking about. Go away."
    "The whole panoply of human intellectual and emotional inadequacy, condensed for your convenience."

The inconstancy is what is confusing. It is also confusing to be called rude and foolish by someone who is always willing to insult people in the harshest terms possible when they disagree with him.

Actually, I was having a go at those who obviously equate kettlebells with swings and only swings. I made it clear in what I hoped would be a somewhat illuminating post earlier on that KBs are not limited to strength endurance work.

All that said, what I wrote was way snottier than it would've been had I intended to actually post it. I got pissy with the person who thought his (or her for that matter) experience with a 35 pound bell from the children's section of the kettlebell catalog had somehow conferred such deep understanding of their usefulness that she declared them fit only for dog lead retention. Then it posted by an unhappy accident with my knuckle brushing my iPad screen.

So, apologies all around.

Quote Originally Posted by JNussbaum View Post
    It is also confusing to be called rude and foolish by someone who is always willing to insult people in the harshest terms possible when they disagree with him.
    Fuck you, nussbaum.

I am all for friendly disagreements, and I agree with Mark on most things. The thing I don't get around here is that when someone like Dan John says something, it is just a friendly disagreement, but when people post in the forum making very similar arguments we get things like this...

"It wasn't disrespectful at all. It was just wrong."
    "The same part of your brain that fails to understand the concept of training."
    "THINK"
    "You don't know what you're talking about. Go away."
    "The whole panoply of human intellectual and emotional inadequacy, condensed for your convenience."

The inconstancy is what is confusing. It is also confusing to be called rude and foolish by someone who is always willing to insult people in the harshest terms possible when they disagree with him.
    For one thing, Dan John doesn't come on the boards and ask Rip dumb questions or try to argue with his analysis without posting a counter-analysis. Which are typically the things that elicit less-than-polite responses from Rip.

I've seen the light! I just realized Rip's really a crusty old codger!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    For one thing, Dan John doesn't come on the boards and ask Rip dumb questions or try to argue with his analysis without posting a counter-analysis. Which are typically the things that elicit less-than-polite responses from Rip.
    For some reason, nobody goes to Dan John's forum to pester him with gotcha questions either.

Quote Originally Posted by trick_ster View Post
    For some reason, nobody goes to Dan John's forum to pester him with gotcha questions either.
    Actually, there are some who try. But the forum is smaller and mostly made up of older lifters, so when the troll goes fishing for drama, the big old pikes don't rise to the bait, they just swim away.

Default Recap

I'm an old fart that spent a lot of time doing exercise that didn't work(to many reps - to often - not enough protein) . Rippetoe has this right.

The key stuff here:

1- Swinging stuff puts stress on tendons etc that can lead to RMI(Repetitive Motion Injury). Not at all good for old bodies like I have.

2- Low reps and high loads maximize strength gains (with out the tenancy towards RMI )

3- You could do something a little like a squat with kettle bells (or dumb bells) - one in each hand. I would rather use a bar. A bar bell squat is still the single best exercise.

4- There is something unique going on with strength training that effects insulin sensitivity in a way other exercise does not.

5- I also do sprints on my off days (swim - butterfly - crawl - breast) - 30 seconds of max effort - rest repeat - short workout. This does something strength training doesn't.

6- The medical community recommends low impact exercise - like walking that fails to do either of the things in 4 and 5 above. (And despite what they say - doing squats has not aggravated my disc problems - my back is giving me much LESS problems.)

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by xtronics View Post
    4- There is something unique going on with strength training that effects insulin sensitivity in a way other exercise does not.
    There are a lot of insulin receptors in muscle tissue. Strength training directly stimulates muscle tissue. An increase in healthy, functioning muscle tissue should increase insulin sensitivity.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516