starting strength gym

Thread: Time-related goals

Default Time-related goals

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Rip, back in your competitive days did you ever attach a time goal to number goals (eg. X-lb squat by X-date). I was working on a year-end goal that I was starting to think was a little too ambitious so I've decided to step back and take a longer view.

Initially I thought it was good to set a "by when" date for tracking/accountability purposes but on the other I got to thinking it was counter-productive (training to a number rather than growing all-purpose strength). Seems to me that if the effort is consisent, the numbers will come, so who cares when?

Interested in your perspective. Thanks for all you and your folks do here. Wish I'd known about this stuff sooner in life.

FYI - I'm getting the book for my brother for Christmas. We're the same height. I outweigh him by at least 50 lbs.

My goals were to PR at meets. Meets were the dates to which I attached a goal. All other dates are meaningless in the grand scheme of training.

Right on. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ud2o View Post
    FYI - I'm getting the book for my brother for Christmas. We're the same height. I outweigh him by at least 50 lbs.
    Bet you he'd like it even more in October.

You might be on to something...who wouldn't like an early Christmas present?